Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
My daughter, who has a slight history of losing stuff, will get Pros for Christmas. I’m considering engraving the case with her phone number so the honest finder could reach her.

thoughts?

yanksfan114

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
That or first initial last name (I.e "F.Last") and then name the AirPods in the software as the phone number. May make it easier if she has friends around and they can quickly just look at the case and be like "oh these are dmaxdmax's daughter's" instead of trying to figure out who's phone number it is.

Reactions: cdcastillo

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
That or first initial last name (I.e "F.Last") and then name the AirPods in the software as the phone number. May make it easier if she has friends around and they can quickly just look at the case and be like "oh these are dmaxdmax's daughter's" instead of trying to figure out who's phone number it is.
I was thinking more along the lines of falling off the library table or at Starbucks where it’s found by a stranger.

yanksfan114

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
I was thinking more along the lines of falling off the library table or at Starbucks where it’s found by a stranger.

Right, which is why you can still name them in the software with the phone number as well. Either works though.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Great idea. I have the lock screen on my iPhone and iPad with my number in case an honest person retrieves it.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Rather than advertise the phone number on the outside, just tape a piece of paper inside the case with my name, phone number, and email. My phone number is also part of my lock screen photo.

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH
Rather than advertise the phone number on the outside, just tape a piece of paper inside the case with my name, phone number, and email. My phone number is also part of my lock screen photo.
Except it’s a bit harder to remove the engraved phone number vs. a taped in piece of paper. Might make a “somewhat honest” person a bit more honest about returning them.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Some people have privacy concerns over strangers getting a name or phone number. A nondescriptive e-mail address may be better.

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH
Some people have privacy concerns over strangers getting a name or phone number. A nondescriptive e-mail address may be better.
Personal preference then. Phone numbers used to be public things published in paper books sent to your door step. Who woulda thunk it?

I’d rather have mine indelibly scarred with my “digits” to deter any casual thief from passing them off as their own by resetting them.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Except it’s a bit harder to remove the engraved phone number vs. a taped in piece of paper. Might make a “somewhat honest” person a bit more honest about returning them.
Yeah, But we're talking about honest finders. An engraving or embossing identification on a phone case doesn't do anything to protect the phone.

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH
Yeah, But we're talking about honest finders. An engraving or embossing identification on a phone case doesn't do anything to protect the phone.

I thought we were talking about engraving airpods cases? In that case, I would hope it would help. Phone cases are throw away items. AirPods case charges your pods.... not much use without it - at least, not for very long! :p
[automerge]1574814006[/automerge]

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
At one time I wouldn’t have wanted to put my number on something like a AirPod charging case (not cover) but that ship sailed when I had to provide it to airlines and hotels and restaurants...

Using an email address isn’t nearly as effective- you have to make it as easy as possible for the potential returner.

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
I'd use either the phone number or email address, whichever is more likely to be permanent or last the longest. A lot of my family tend to have new contracts quite often and can't be bothered to keep their existing number. Similarly some of their email addresses change according to their current broadband supplier, even though it's cheap to have your own domain.

Puppuccino

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2019
United Kingdom
If your daughter has a tendency to lose things, buying headphones upwards of $200 doesn’t seem like a sensible thing to do.

AirPods can’t be locked (I don’t believe so anyway) so you’d need a really honest person to turn them in. Although having a phone number or email address may deter someone from keeping them.

It’s a game of risk at the end of the day. Best thing is to not lose them.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
My daughter, who has a slight history of losing stuff, will get Pros for Christmas. I’m considering engraving the case with her phone number so the honest finder could reach her.

thoughts?

Label machine, white tape/black letters. Tap the 'return' key to make the letters smaller. It's removable in case she wants to return or resell them later and permanent enough for your purpose.

My adult kids and SOs did this with label tapes, not because they were worried about losing them but because they were having trouble telling which belonged to whom. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Glideslope

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Label machine, white tape/black letters. Tap the 'return' key to make the letters smaller. It's removable in case she wants to return or resell them later and permanent enough for your purpose.

My adult kids and SOs did this with label tapes, not because they were worried about losing them but because they were having trouble telling which belonged to whom. ;)

We use silicone cases for that - it’s especially effective because I have a carabiner on mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.