Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
I just got another 2021 12.9” iPad Pro and while I think the speakers are awesome, I would like to enhance my audio experience as much as possible since I am a big music listener and watch a lot of content. Would you recommend Bluetooth speakers, wireless headphones/earbuds, or what? And if so, what model(s)? I was set on getting a Magic Keyboard, but I think I’d rather have louder, more vibrant sound than that at the moment.

Note: I’ve been eyeing the Sony WH-1000XM4’s for a while now, but I don’t know if I should pull the trigger on those or go with something else.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I think you should get Apple AirPods Pro or AirPods Max, primarily for the Spatial Audio.

lungbutter

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2014
If you want to hear Hi-Resolution audio, you’ll need to use something other than Bluetooth. Not enough bandwidth to move the amount of data needed at the speed needed. Wired headphones, etc. would be better but would also need to support the larger dynamic range of the music.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I just got another 2021 12.9” iPad Pro and while I think the speakers are awesome, I would like to enhance my audio experience as much as possible since I am a big music listener and watch a lot of content. Would you recommend Bluetooth speakers, wireless headphones/earbuds, or what? And if so, what model(s)? I was set on getting a Magic Keyboard, but I think I’d rather have louder, more vibrant sound than that at the moment.

Note: I’ve been eyeing the Sony WH-1000XM4’s for a while now, but I don’t know if I should pull the trigger on those or go with something else.

I have the WH-1000XM4’s and think they're great with my 2021 12.9 and 12 Pro Max. I like them better than my premium Bose QuietComfort 35 II headphones. Excellent sound quality and noise cancelling. I tried and returned the AirPod Pros - I like the Sony's a lot better. I also have wired headphones but prefer the ease of BT.

Reactions: lungbutter

lungbutter

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2014
I have a pair of the Sony WH-1000XM3s that I listen to music from my Walkman on. Great noise cancelling. I also have Airpod Pros I use with my phone and MBP M1. Usually work fine, a little wonky today, Need to reorient some things to see if it helps.

I agree the Sony’s sound great. I used them for work on a MBP 16”. However, that was voice. Still, BT doesn’t yet provide enough bandwidth for HiRes music. Apple’s working on something the rumor mills say. I’m sure a lot of other companies are as well. We’ll have something in a bit that will handle up to a certain resolution.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
Either the AirPods Max or AirPods Pro make a wonderful pairing with the iPad Pro.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
It won't be hard to improve upon the iPad speakers. What to get depends on what other features you desire.

My thoughts:
  • Noise-cancelling ON degrades audio.
  • In-ear buds results depend on how they're fitting and the slightest movement can shift the EQ curve a lot. For me they're OK for books or sports events.
  • A great, low-tech, high-quality set of wired, over-the-ear headphones will last a long time.

Reactions: Htsi

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
Unless you need to kill noise, don’t go for noise canceling headphones.
Get open back headphones and a small USB C DAC. You should be good
I have lots of nonsense around and prefer my AirPods max. But if I have silence around I prefer my HomePods.

Reactions: lungbutter
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.