Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
On my previous 8+ I would've never watched videos with fit to screen orientation but it's nice on my Max. From what I see, there is no major footage cut out when watching movies.

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
9ED2A45F-C52C-4E69-876A-8CB30408A5ED.jpeg
I know it sounds weird but what I'm getting at is after all these years of bezels on top and bottom that it feels refreshing to have the "full screen" experience on XS Max. Closer to the vision of a slab of glass. The notch isn't a problem and content seems more immersive. Picture taken with iPad Pro 10.5

Last edited:

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
I know it sounds weird but what I'm getting at is after all these years of bezels on top and bottom that it feels refreshing to have the "full screen" experience on XS Max. Closer to the vision of a slab of glass. The notch isn't a problem and content seems more immersive.
Doesn't sound weird to me. I enjoy the 'full screen' experience on my X also. I guess us 'non notch haters' don't sit and stare at the notch, while watching video, to try and figure out what kind of plant (also known as 'content' on these forums) it is that the notch is 'covering up'. Because, after all, we know that any film maker/videographer puts the main subject matter at the edge of the frame and not in the middle. :rolleyes:

UKapple73

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
Yeah it works well with film content as that is normally 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 aspect ratio and so fits in nice with the roughly 2.2:1 of the max display.
When displaying 16:9 stuff like tv shows or YouTube clips, it basically looks same as the plus displays with black bars on sides, I don’t zoom in on those as then you do lose a lot of the content

Reactions: 3rdiguy

Wig321

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2018
View attachment 787863 I know it sounds weird but what I'm getting at is after all these years of bezels on top and bottom that it feels refreshing to have the "full screen" experience on XS Max. Closer to the vision of a slab of glass. The notch isn't a problem and content seems more immersive. Picture taken with iPad Pro 10.5
So you don’t mind half the video being cropped

Reactions: dazz87

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
So you don’t mind half the video being cropped
I don't mind not being able to see the doorknob on the edge of the frame. Or the rock down in the corner. I'm focused on what's going on in the middle of the screen where the main focus of the film/video is. I'm too busy taking in the actual story/theme of what is happening in the video to worry about how the scene is framed.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I don't mind not being able to see the doorknob on the edge of the frame. Or the rock down in the corner. I'm focused on what's going on in the middle of the screen where the main focus of the film/video is. I'm too busy taking in the actual story/theme of what is happening in the video to worry about how the scene is framed.

Literally cutting corners. Not for me. It'd be like removing surround speakers. Movie watching should be an enveloping experience on whatever screen it's on. So taking in all the visuals/sounds the directer intended is a must.

Imagine watching a cinematic film like Lord of the Rings with each side cropped.

Another example is when I was playing games, I wouldn't want the edges cut off, as it hindered my enjoyment.

Last edited:

UKapple73

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
Literally cutting corners. Not for me. It'd be like removing surround speakers. Movie watching should be an enveloping experience on whatever screen it's on. So taking in all the visuals/sounds the directer intended is a must.

Imagine watching a cinematic film like Lord of the Rings with each side cropped.

Another example is when I was playing games, I wouldn't want the edges cut off, as in hindered my enjoyment.
You’re watching it on a mobile phone....it’s already compromised and hardly what the director intended at 6.5 inches lol listen to yourself

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
You’re watching it on a mobile phone....it’s already compromised and hardly what the director intended at 6.5 inches lol listen to yourself
You're cutting corners when it comes to two things; understanding a point that's being made & discussing things in a proper manner.

You can recreate the cinematic experience on any sized screen if you watch from a relevant distance to the screen size...
https://stari.co/tv-monitor-viewing-distance-calculator

Turn down the lights, plug in a decent pair of surround earphones & your condescending "listen to yourself" looks even sillier.

Last edited:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
You're cutting corners when it comes to two things; understanding a point that's being made & discussing things in a proper manner.

You can recreate the cinematic experience on any sized screen if you watch from a relevant distance to the screen size...
https://stari.co/tv-monitor-viewing-distance-calculator

Turn down the lights, plug in a decent pair of surround earphones & your condescending "listen to yourself" looks even sillier.
No he very clearly understood the point, you're just upset that his understanding of how a director would want you to watch a film don't line up to your particular ideal mobile experience.

LOL @ the notion in your last sentence makes the other poster look silly.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
View attachment 787863 I know it sounds weird but what I'm getting at is after all these years of bezels on top and bottom that it feels refreshing to have the "full screen" experience on XS Max. Closer to the vision of a slab of glass. The notch isn't a problem and content seems more immersive. Picture taken with iPad Pro 10.5
Sorry but that Notch Stands out like a Mofo.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
you know the 8 plus is a 16.9 screen right?

Not all movies are distributed in 16:9. Movies distributed on DVD / Blu-Ray at 2.35:1 will look better on the X display than a iPhone 6/7/8 + display. Ideally a movie formatted to 19.5:9 would fit perfectly on the X but this isn't a common resolution in the cinema.

aspect-ratios.jpg

[doublepost=1537821796][/doublepost]

Another example is when I was playing games, I wouldn't want the edges cut off, as in hindered my enjoyment.

Director of Photography (DP) and Editor has more to do with what you see on your screen than the directer. While the director is exciting their vision its the DP who is composing the shot. To a lesser extent, the editor who is deciding what is printed. A combination of effort are made for the color correction to set the mood. Depending on the camera, scenes are often shot in a 3:2 aspect ratio and are later cut down to 1.85:1 / 2.35:1 So yeah, in most cases the Director didn't care about that doorknob or rock in the scene. The DP was just concerned about getting the action in frame and the editor decided how to best fit what was shot onto the screen.

I mean, since you want to get technical about it...

Last edited:

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
No he very clearly understood the point, you're just upset that his understanding of how a director would want you to watch a film don't line up to your particular ideal mobile experience.

LOL @ the notion in your last sentence makes the other poster look silly.
Nobody's upset. Just here for a discussion.

But once again people start putting others down, & others join in & pile on...waste of time.
[doublepost=1537841463][/doublepost]
I mean, since you want to get technical about it...
That's another level of "technical", but cheers for the info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.