Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeteyKohut

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2002
Earth
When the iPods go to 40GB, they won't really cost anymore than the others. The real cost of those things is the polymer battery (which is an absolutely must). That's why the price is so high for the iPods. Though they are pricy for a music device, I still feel they are a helluva deal. I wish the iBook and the PBG4 would come out with polymer batteries

macphisto

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2002
At home
It is nice to dream for the meantime. As you stated though, the iMac is a "silent runner." Throwing another processor in that puppy would sure make it heat up.

However, seeing Apple's running record on suprise tactics/software/and most importantly hardware, I would not doubt anything. Hey, we now have a slot-loading TiBook. Gravy!

:D

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
You don't alway get what you want...

The iMac and eMac are neat enclosures, but really strained as to heat removal (probably would push them towards doom with dual CPUs).

Mr Jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2002
London, England
hey edesignuk, just realised ur from london aswell, dont know how i missed that before. i see u have a picture of Docklands on your site, you live around there?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by thanetman
I'd quite happily buy a PowerMac if it wasn't for the terrible fan noise - most of my work is with audio, the iMac is more of a 'silent runner'.
OK i have a couple of points to make. i have one of these new powermacs and i never saw what the huffing and puffing was about when it came to loudness. it was the same as any other computer i ever used. until i booted up into 9 and the fan moved at full rpm the whole time and sounded like a blow dryer in my computer. i read some forums and talked about my problems with other people. Apple has already approached this problem. when you boot up in 9, only 9 and not x the fans blow at full rpm constantly. it was a motherboard flaw. right when you buy it boot up in 9 and see if it does it. if it does take it to a authorized apple dealer tell them your applecare number, apple ships parts overnight unless they are on back order. next day people put it in, and your in business. so dont sweat the small stuff and stop wishing for these insane apple products.

iJon

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
not to be a mac hater at all, but i would be much more impressed by a 1.25 GHz iMac than a dual 933 MHz iMac, say. i mean, SMP makes it cool to have DP, and that is monster cool if you actually, you know, do more than one thing actively at a time, but then i don't really do that, and i don't know many non-professional users who do either. on the other hand, if i had a dual 1.25 GHz iMac, i could stand it upside down on it's 17 inch display, open up the base, fill it with oil, and fry fish or something. that would be pretty impressive. almost as impressive as, say, my new powerbook doing my laundry card, or even my bluetooth madule getting into the laundry cycle and not being destroyed.

If apple got into the fry-daddy market, i would definitely start eating out at those catfish joints in the South.

i'm sorry, i think i have been reading a little TOO MUCH as the apple turns... anyways, my real opinion is that a really fast, single processor is in my opinion better than 2 slow ones. i mean, would you use a quad processor 633 MHz powermac over a dual 1.25 GHZ powermac? doesn't it follow, then, that you'd take a single processor 2 GHz G4, were it offered? i think that would blatantly flame out a 3 GHz P4 a lot better than the doolies running onder the apple hood now.

just as a side comment, i am hitting on 200 posts and i still haven't spammed yet. i think you people (you know who you are) should play fair.
[edit]and i have successfully resisted the urge to spam out my next 7 messages to get there now![/edit]

thanetman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2002
Spymac today say that the iMac's will be updated in January, but not too many details. One thing that is definite it seems is the introduction of a slot-loading CD mechanism, and a 1Ghtz processor.

http://www.spymac.com

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
What is it with some peoples obsession with fan noise?????? I have never owned a "serious" computer, ever since my IBM PC (back in 83) that didn't have a fan. Fans are needed to cool powerful computers! Lets move on now...

Mr Jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by iJon

OK i have a couple of points to make. i have one of these new powermacs and i never saw what the huffing and puffing was about when it came to loudness. it was the same as any other computer i ever used. until i booted up into 9 and the fan moved at full rpm the whole time and sounded like a blow dryer in my computer. i read some forums and talked about my problems with other people. Apple has already approached this problem. when you boot up in 9, only 9 and not x the fans blow at full rpm constantly. it was a motherboard flaw. right when you buy it boot up in 9 and see if it does it. if it does take it to a authorized apple dealer tell them your applecare number, apple ships parts overnight unless they are on back order. next day people put it in, and your in business. so dont sweat the small stuff and stop wishing for these insane apple products.

iJon

thaks ijon didnt not know that but my problem is with more then just booting into 9 i get that blowdry (i call it airiplane) effect somethime even when booting in os x but not constantly, maybe for 10 to 15 seconds is that normal

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by Mr Jobs
hey edesignuk, just realised ur from london aswell, dont know how i missed that before. i see u have a picture of Docklands on your site, you live around there?
Sadly I don't live around there (FAR to expensive), but I do work there.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Originally posted by thanetman
... and the iMac is a Pro Machine... ... and we're all consumers...

The iMac is not a pro machine. It is a consumer computer.
And we are all consumers. But powermacs are meant for 'pro'
consumers. If you want dual processors, buy a powermac.
If you want a machine that operates OK, and will do basically
everything you want, then get an iMac.

Dual processors would get too hot anyways.

nigel_t

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2001
DP Imacs

Two thing you will never see:

1. A dual Processor Imac

2. A hippo in a pink spotted hot pants

;) ;) ;)

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
The iMac is a home computer for the kids and the wife. The PowerMac G4's are the real work horese. If you want power, get a POWERmac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.