Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Superrenz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Wiesbaden, Germany
Just got the MK and I am totally happy with it...amazing device. Got a question to you out there who use the MK longer than I do: Does it offer enough protection for the iPad Pro or should I get a case for the iPad like the case buddy? THX for your advice.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Just got the MK and I am totally happy with it...amazing device. Got a question to you out there who use the MK longer than I do: Does it offer enough protection for the iPad Pro or should I get a case for the iPad like the case buddy? THX for your advice.
It depends on how you plan to use it. I only use my iPad Pro 12.9 + MK at home, so I'm not concerned about side protection. Many of us have skins on our MKs to help protect the MK, and some iPad skins include side protection. If you plan on throwing it into a backpack or regularly using it outside your home, you might want to consider greater protection options.

Reactions: Superrenz

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
Try the Pitaka if you decide to have more protection.
The coverbuddy is not comfortable to handheld and feels cheap.

Superrenz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Wiesbaden, Germany
It depends on how you plan to use it. I only use my iPad Pro 12.9 + MK at home, so I'm not concerned about side protection. Many of us have skins on our MKs to help protect the MK, and some iPad skins include side protection. If you plan on throwing it into a backpack or regularly using it outside your home, you might want to consider greater protection options.
It stays around the house 99.9%. For traveling (if that’s ever gonna be possible again) I use a regular 9.7 IPad. I love the feel of the MK and the naked IPad.... DANGER! Since there is no way of getting hold of the Pitaka I ordered a coverbuddy.

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
It stays around the house 99.9%. For traveling (if that’s ever gonna be possible again) I use a regular 9.7 IPad. I love the feel of the MK and the naked IPad.... DANGER! Since there is no way of getting hold of the Pitaka I ordered a coverbuddy.

Actually I tried using the bare iPad Pro + MKB around the house for a week. It doesn’t feel that unsecured.
But I’m using the iPad without the MKB on my bed / couch most of the time though.
Just beware some people experiencing color shifting on their iPad’s back from constantly attached on the MKB. This is where I think using back cover also prevent this.

From my experience, the CoverBuddy also has problems / QC problems (not all affected).
The pogo / pin connectors can fall off out of sudden due to poor production process.
Luckily, if you contact the SwitchEasy via email, they will replace the product after having you provide the photo of proof, purchase receipt and local seller information.

Superrenz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Wiesbaden, Germany
Actually I tried using the bare iPad Pro + MKB around the house for a week. It doesn’t feel that unsecured.
But I’m using the iPad without the MKB on my bed / couch most of the time though.
Just beware some people experiencing color shifting on their iPad’s back from constantly attached on the MKB. This is where I think using back cover also prevent this.

From my experience, the CoverBuddy also has problems / QC problems (not all affected).
The pogo / pin connectors can fall off out of sudden due to poor production process.
Luckily, if you contact the SwitchEasy via email, they will replace the product after having you provide the photo of proof, purchase receipt and local seller information.
Just attached the Coverbuddy...fits great ..doesn’t look too bad (naked is always better) and at least 3/4 of the IPad are kind of protected. Better than nothing....

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
Just attached the Coverbuddy...fits great ..doesn’t look too bad (naked is always better) and at least 3/4 of the IPad are kind of protected. Better than nothing....
Exactly, better than nothing is why I’m still using it. But naked is always better.

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
For how long are you using it? Read reports that the pins tend to break after a couple of months. Any experience with that issue?
The first one I used for about almost two months before one of the pins fell off.
The product never been taken off of my iPad since initially attached after I got it.
I noticed the issue because the MKB stopped responding.
Emailed SwitchEasy for a replacement, they contacted my local seller, and they replaced it after 10 days. Had to send the old one to my local seller.

I’ve been using the replacement for about two months now, still working great.
Only took it off of the iPad once when I finally decided to put a screen protector on the iPad.

If it’s breaking again, I’d probably go with Pitaka or a skin.

Superrenz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Wiesbaden, Germany
The first one I used for about almost two months before one of the pins fell off.
The product never been taken off of my iPad since initially attached after I got it.
I noticed the issue because the MKB stopped responding.
Emailed SwitchEasy for a replacement, they contacted my local seller, and they replaced it after 10 days. Had to send the old one to my local seller.

I’ve been using the replacement for about two months now, still working great.
Only took it off of the iPad once when I finally decided to put a screen protector on the iPad.

If it’s breaking again, I’d probably go with Pitaka or a skin.
Are u using the third issue of the CoverBuddy?

Superrenz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Wiesbaden, Germany
Just a short update: I took the Coverbilds off....it looked bad - kinda. And its sharp corners left marks on the MK. Going naked now....

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013
Try the Pitaka if you decide to have more protection.
The coverbuddy is not comfortable to handheld and feels cheap.
Does this Pitaka increase the weight of the IPP in a noticeable way when paired with the ASF? 90% of my use of my IPP is in portrait orientation and handheld. Thanks.

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
Does this Pitaka increase the weight of the IPP in a noticeable way when paired with the ASF? 90% of my use of my IPP is in portrait orientation and handheld. Thanks.
I don’t know about the Pitaka, since I have’t got my hands on it yet.

Rory76

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2017
I don’t know about the Pitaka, since I have’t got my hands on it yet.
Was very interested in the Pitaka, but according to their customer service, they don’t recommend using a glass screen with the case as the added thickness won’t allow the MK case to fully close without a significant gap. And having no screen protection is a dealbreaker for me.

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013
Was very interested in the Pitaka, but according to their customer service, they don’t recommend using a glass screen with the case as the added thickness won’t allow the MK case to fully close without a significant gap. And having no screen protection is a dealbreaker for me.
I don’t use a screen protector.

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
So does the CoverBuddy. I use film screen protector (matte), it’s thin enough without interfering with additional thickness for the MK to fully close.

Matt-PITAKA

Suspended
May 13, 2020

The weight of the PITAKA IPP case: 11in: 3oz (86g), 12.9in: 4.4oz (112g). Super slim and lightweight. Easy to attach and detach.

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013
The weight of the PITAKA IPP case: 11in: 3oz (86g), 12.9in: 4.4oz (112g). Super slim and lightweight. Easy to attach and detach.
Thanks. I just wanted to know from users if, when combined with the ASF, the iPad using the Pitaka case makes it a bit heavy to use. I am asking because I generally use my iPad in portrait orientation and I am holding it in my hands. This is both indoors and outdoors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.