Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
He's jumping the sinking ship.

... apple is dying... err, as we all know.. yeah... six months from now, no more Apple

reeeally.

;-)

mrsebastian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2002
sunny san diego
Originally posted by ITR 81
He just wanted more money and the title CEO.

sounds about right to me. he was cfo at that company before and leaves on good terms to apple. then has an opportunity to run the company for more money, cya.

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
Okay, first of all, I had no idea Apple and Star Trek were affiliated.

Second, how much does an Enterprise cost?

Third, can anyone apply for that Enterprise Sales job, because damn!, can you imagine the commission you'd make selling just ONE?

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Originally posted by rt_brained
Okay, first of all, I had no idea Apple and Star Trek were affiliated.

Second, how much does an Enterprise cost?

Third, can anyone apply for that Enterprise Sales job, because damn!, can you imagine the commission you'd make selling just ONE?

Surely you are being facetious?

Star Trek's only relation with Apple Computer is that many Mac users are also trekkies.

The word "Enterprise" in "Enterprise computing" has nothing to do with Star Trek short of the use of a common word. Looking up in the definition of "Enterprise computing" at http://www.keligon.com/Glossary.htm I get:

"enterprise computing_-_A computing model in which multiple users access applications and data stored on a server. In an enterprise computing environment, multiple servers and multiple networks can be linked together. This is an advanced form of general networking in which users can share information directly, without the use of a dedicated server."

Enterprise in Star Trek Enterprise refers to the name given many ships that pursue lofty goals, and not only Star Trek's own ship. Even the Space Shuttle first orbiter built and tested was nicknamed Enterprise, and is now in the Air and Space Museum just outside of Washington Dulles International Airport.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Originally posted by gopher
Surely you are being facetious?

I don't believe so.
I heard that Captain Picard, in an effort to bring more work to a ship full of people seemingly doing nothing, has decided to out-source their expertise. I also heard the the first two sales were a re-design of some Heisenberg Compensators for Bush's foriegn policy wonks, and portable holo-decks so folks at MacDonalds really think they are in the manufacturing business.
See: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/20/business/20jobs.html
(I know, only I can turn this story into a Bush-bash, but hey... dude)

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Originally posted by Les Kern
I don't believe so.
I heard that Captain Picard, in an effort to bring more work to a ship full of people seemingly doing nothing, has decided to out-source their expertise. I also heard the the first two sales were a re-design of some Heisenberg Compensators for Bush's foriegn policy wonks, and portable holo-decks so folks at MacDonalds really think they are in the manufacturing business.
See: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/20/business/20jobs.html
(I know, only I can turn this story into a Bush-bash, but hey... dude)

Captain Picard is a fictitious character. If you believe he is real, then the eugenics wars should have already happened, and Khan would have been emperor of the world. I rest of my case.

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
Originally posted by Les Kern
...and portable holo-decks so folks at MacDonalds really think they are in the manufacturing business.
I wish someone would manufacture a holo-deck of cards. I'd get all my friends together for poker and clean their wallets.

phrancpharmD

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2003
Historic Norcross
It looks like most of these posts were submitted in the middle of the day yesterday, but they read more like they were submitted in the middle of the night! You guys are funny.

:)

Beigean

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2002
CA
gopher...are you playing along as the straight man? if so, nicely done. if not...

*whispering*
They're joking.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Originally posted by Beigean
gopher...are you playing along as the straight man? if so, nicely done. if not...

*whispering*
They're joking.
Of course I am... Shakespeare did say:

"All the world [..."Universe"...according to Patrick Stewart...] is a stage and all the people in it are merely players"

I know my facts, I was just wondering if rt_brained did too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.