Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheKrs1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
Anyone have the screen for the enterprise features? I would love global address book being in my contacts stock, and not just a "search".

TheKrs1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
Thanks! Lot's of great information. I really do hope they do a better job integrating the Global Address Book... If i don't have the contact saved in my Outlook, caller-ID will not display a name with the number.

Blackforge

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
Thanks! Lot's of great information. I really do hope they do a better job integrating the Global Address Book... If i don't have the contact saved in my Outlook, caller-ID will not display a name with the number.

I really don't see that happening any time soon. It'd have to query the GAL over the internet prior to accepting the call causing delays in call handling. I can just foresee dropped calls and what not as a result. Also, in Verizon's case, unless the iPhone hardware changes or they switch to VoLTE in all areas, no simultaneous Voice & Data.

Otherwise to circumvent this, it would have to store your GAL locally. With a few hundred people isn't much, but there are some organizations with 100K+ employees. Seems like a bunch of useless data to store locally when you probably deal with 1-10% of the users, especially if you want to include contact pictures, etc. Maybe just storing recents/favorites, but then might as well just save those to your Contacts in the first place. I don't know of any mobile device (including Windows Phone) that would do this today.

Probably the best thing is you'd be looking at doing something specific with your company's phone system (aka Microsoft's Lync) that would do that all in line with the call handling.

This is mostly just my opinion, dealing with this type of tech all day.

TheKrs1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
I really don't see that happening any time soon. It'd have to query the GAL over the internet prior to accepting the call causing delays in call handling. I can just foresee dropped calls and what not as a result. Also, in Verizon's case, unless the iPhone hardware changes or they switch to VoLTE in all areas, no simultaneous Voice & Data.

Otherwise to circumvent this, it would have to store your GAL locally. With a few hundred people isn't much, but there are some organizations with 100K+ employees. Seems like a bunch of useless data to store locally when you probably deal with 1-10% of the users, especially if you want to include contact pictures, etc. I don't know of any mobile device (including Windows Phone) that would do this today.

Probably the best thing is you'd be looking at doing something specific with your company's phone system (aka Microsoft's Lync) that would do that all in line with the call handling.

This is mostly just my opinion, dealing with this type of tech all day.
How is it handled via blackberry? I've been on iOS for years... but when I started here I was given a BB7 before they let me add my iPhone to the domain. On my BB7 i had the entire Global Address Book on my device at any time. At the very least, will spotlight query the GAB... instead of having to open contacts, browse groups, scroll to GAB then open a search page?

Blackforge

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
How is it handled via blackberry? I've been on iOS for years... but when I started here I was given a BB7 before they let me add my iPhone to the domain. On my BB7 i had the entire Global Address Book on my device at any time. At the very least, will spotlight query the GAB... instead of having to open contacts, browse groups, scroll to GAB then open a search page?

BB7 and before uses the connection back to the Blackberry Enterprise server to perform its queries, which retrieves it through Exchange. It wasn't stored on the device either.

Actually if you didn't realize it, at least for email, you can start typing a person's name or email address and it will actively make a query against the GAL & contacts as you're typing it. Not useful for phone calls, I know, but until Apple makes it less buried (The Groups > Scroll to Exchange Address List), that is probably the quickest method to kind of access the GAL.

Apple just needs to add some shortcuts for more user information from the mail view or wherever you prefer to retrieve the information form.

Otherwise if you REALLY want to store it local, you can select every listed object in Outlook and tell it to "add to Contacts", which will then show up on the phone. You could do it into a special Contacts folder.

We'll see what iOS 8 brings to the table as I'm sure there are some unmentioned details.

TheKrs1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
BB7 and before uses the connection back to the Blackberry Enterprise server to perform its queries, which retrieves it through Exchange. It wasn't stored on the device either.

Actually if you didn't realize it, at least for email, you can start typing a person's name or email address and it will actively make a query against the GAL & contacts as you're typing it. Not useful for phone calls, I know, but until Apple makes it less buried (The Groups > Scroll to Exchange Address List), that is probably the quickest method to kind of access the GAL.

Apple just needs to add some shortcuts for more user information from the mail view or wherever you prefer to retrieve the information form.

Otherwise if you REALLY want to store it local, you can select every listed object in Outlook and tell it to "add to Contacts", which will then show up on the phone. You could do it into a special Contacts folder.

We'll see what iOS 8 brings to the table as I'm sure there are some unmentioned details.

You make some good points. I do notice that apple pulls the contact info for mail, but some of the less power users in my office struggle with it not being easy to find GAL contacts in messages and phone. I'll install 8 tonight and play around with any enterprise features currently added.

Thanks for your great reply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.