Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacUser1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2001
New York, NY
I decided to try out Entourage v.X with my .mac account. I thought I imported everything in the setup, however, in entourage I am only able to receive mail, not send it. A message comes up saying that "smtp authorization failed" what can I do to fix this?

Biggles

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2002
Ohio
same

i got the exact same thing with entourage. I never did figure out how to fix it (but im sure there is a solution) so i ended up just switching back to Mail. I like Mail a lot anyways, so it wasnt a bad thing at all.

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
your outgoing server name should NOT be smtp.mac.com

It should be smtp.serviceprovidernamehere.comornet

Check that.

-Pete

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Go to tools -> accounts Select and edit the mac.com account.. at the bottom, click advanced options, and make sure it set to authenticate (ie, check the box that says SMTP server requires authentication) and Use same settings as receiving mail server.

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by idkew

That will send all your .mac messages from your .com account. I think they want to send with their .mac accounts and not give out the .com account.

-idkew

-no it wont...that is required to send mail out from your computer through your service provider. As long as your return address is your .mac.com account, your messages will be from it.

-Pete

i think indy's got it right though...what on earth is a macrumors Demi-God, and how do I become one?

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
a demi-god is someone who, like me, posesses great knowledge (and perfect spelling :D )

it's actually the status you get for buying something from the macrumors store

thecube84

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2001
ohio
mail.mac.com

i actually had my send mail server as

mail.mac.com

for a while using outlook in 9

turns out there's a smtp server in there somewhere...

denhur

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2001
mail vs. entourage

i started with mail but was forced to switch to entourage:

- as my mailbox increased in size (1,3GB in 370+ folders) mail became really unstable. messages disappeared, or suddenly became "marked as unread".
- the search function is confined to searches in one folder/mailbox making it useless when your not really sure where you put the email.
- i could not find support for creating my own signaturefile in html and having it appear by default

unfortunately mail exports very badly to other email clients, you need to use the applescript on the office v.X cd to export you mail from mail to entourage, as expected this did not go well with so much data. after 4 hours of repeated attempts i was finally done. entourage is great:

- it handles the large number of files perfectly
- megasearch option works great
- html signature was embedded in 10 minutes
- the tasks and calender functios are a great extra

i hate to admit it but M$ has outprogrammed apple this time
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.