Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I'm wanting a MacBook for the build quality, battery life, keyboard and trackpad, speakers. I'm primarily a Windows user at home (iMac at work) so use my desktop to run all my work software such as Adobe suite, music production software etc. So this lightweight laptop is just for browsing, youtube etc. iPad does not fit for me, I've tried.

Any model I purchase will be entry level base specs.

Now do I go for an Apple refurbished Macbook 12" 2017 for £1059.

OR

Do I go for a brand new Macbook Air 2018 with student discount for £1078.

On paper, the Air 2018 looks like a better option other than the fans, and I hate fans! The Air is newer and as touch id.

The fanless Macbook 2017 is appealing because its fanless. But it is older. I could hold out for the Macbook refresh but as it got the gold colour option and gen 2 butterfly keys I don't think this will be anytime soon.

Q - Which has the better display and speakers?

Q - I'm assuming keyboard and trackpad is on par?

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
I'm wanting a MacBook for the build quality, battery life, keyboard and trackpad, speakers. I'm primarily a Windows user at home (iMac at work) so use my desktop to run all my work software such as Adobe suite, music production software etc. So this lightweight laptop is just for browsing, youtube etc. iPad does not fit for me, I've tried.

Any model I purchase will be entry level base specs.

Now do I go for an Apple refurbished Macbook 12" 2017 for £1059.

OR

Do I go for a brand new Macbook Air 2018 with student discount for £1078.

On paper, the Air 2018 looks like a better option other than the fans, and I hate fans! The Air is newer and as touch id.

The fanless Macbook 2017 is appealing because its fanless. But it is older. I could hold out for the Macbook refresh but as it got the gold colour option and gen 2 butterfly keys I don't think this will be anytime soon.

Q - Which has the better display and speakers?

Q - I'm assuming keyboard and trackpad is on par?

The only reason you'd be wanting to go for a 12" is purely for portability as my gosh that thing is light as F.

If portability is key, the 12" is a winner hands down.

Spec wise, the Air wins hands down (the Macbook only has one port!). So if the iMac and Windows desktop do all your heavy lifting and your wanting this new Mac to accompany you everywhere (including the bog), the Macbook is your answer. If you're thinking of doing work or even gaming, the Air is your answer.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

DNAppleGold

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2009
if your wanting this new Mac to accompany you everywhere (including the bog), the Macbook is your answer. If you're thinking of doing work or even gaming, the Air is your answer.

Good advice. If your portability needs are around the house and the occasional trip out, the Air. If the laptop will be your constant companion (and particularly if you travel by walking biking, scooter public transportation etc) the MacBook. I’ve got one and love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.