Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewClassicMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2019
My iMac at home has 3 mbps internet connection. My work is fiber, so I took my laptop in with a spare drive and downloaded Borderlands 3 while I worked. I took the drive home, plugged it into my iMac and dropped the Borderlands3 folder into users/shared/ epic games/, the default folder for games.
The epic games launcher doesn't acknowledge it.
I tried the PC trick of starting a download, closing the launcher and replacing it with the complete folder and relaunching it.
Opening the BL3 app just says "this app needs to be opened through the Epic Games Launcher".

How do I add it to my library and be able to launch it? This would be good to know for backups as well, for us on 3mbps internet connections :)

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
My iMac at home has 3 mbps internet connection. My work is fiber, so I took my laptop in with a spare drive and downloaded Borderlands 3 while I worked. I took the drive home, plugged it into my iMac and dropped the Borderlands3 folder into users/shared/ epic games/, the default folder for games.
I tried the PC trick of starting a download, closing the launcher and replacing it with the complete folder and relaunching it.
Opening the BL3 app just says "this app needs to be opened through the Epic Games Launcher".

How do I add it to my library and be able to launch it? This would be good to know for backups as well, for us on 3mbps internet connections :)

Sadly, you may have to re-download your game from the Epic store, as you’ve already done everything I would have suggested you try.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
I just did this to move over to a new computer. On the new installation start the download, give a few moments to set everything up in the file system, “cancel” the download from the ellipsis menu on the right side, then move the old game folder over to the new location, then “resume” the download, it will start verification of the files. This has worked well for me in Mac and Windowns. Usually it will download a portion of the files regardless, maybe 5-7GBs.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

For future reference something you could try, in Steam if you move the game folder to the desired location, and then you tell Steam to install it in the same location, it will discover files there instead of downloading them. Maybe this might work for Epic?

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
For future reference something you could try, in Steam if you move the game folder to the desired location, and then you tell Steam to install it in the same location, it will discover files there instead of downloading them. Maybe this might work for Epic?
Unfortunately epic launcher will refuse to initiate the install process if the folder is not empty. The easiest way is to initiate, cancel and move the old files over. Epic launcher is crap compared to steam and ubiconnect, both of which will recognize existing installations. Epic is such crap, it won’t even let me launch Borderlands 3 from the alias IT puts on my desktop, telling me I can only start it from the launcher. Lol

• Sad
Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.