Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I've love to know, just what spec of 'PC' this graphical power is equal to.

Give a PC the same screen resolution.

What CPU and GPU would a PC have to use to match the power?

I know they will be faking a lot, and using tricks, like games on rails etc, but that's not my point.

I would love to know at what stage, in genuine PC gaming terms, iOS devices are at right now, with the iPhone6 and the soon to be iPad Air2

Would it be the CPU doing the maths or the GPU throwing the pixels around that are the weakest links?

Is there anythink you can run on an iOS machine, say with 1920x1080 iPhone6 that we can get some idea?

Well, my PS4 compared to this app shows iOS is a LONG way off what it's capable of. In my eye's this app looks worst than Infinity Blade does/ did? I wouldn't even start comparing to a PC.

----------

FORGET this rubbish app, Gameloft has updated Asphalt 8 to use METAL!! And you can get it NOW

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/131...dy-game-for-ios-8-and-boy-does-it-look-lovely

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Modern equivalent to Epic Citadel that came out to demonstrate the graphics potential of the iPhone 4. I still open and play around in that application from time to time, I actually like playable, no kill graphics demos like this.

Guess I need to get out more :eek:

Livineasy629

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
Metal

Can anyone explain in one or two lines what Metal is exactly? The first I heard of it was at the iPhone6/6plus keynote.

Metal gives the lowest overhead access to the gpu allowing developers to create more calls, in the case of this game, 4000 butterflies. But as a user it will just mean games that look much prettier. The problem is that while metal works on all these different devices, it depends on the quality of the graphics as to whether or not another device is ruled out on being able to run it. In the case of Zen Garden it is most likely written entirely in 64 bit which means nothing below the most recent of iOS devices.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Compatibility:
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini with Retina display, and iPad mini with Retina display Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.

so which is it?
optimised for iPhone 5 only means it's optimised for the 16:9 aspect ratio.

----------

At least it didn't take as long as Clumsy Ninja to come out! =)

AND.... Clumsy Ninja had not received any updates besides new IAP items since release :mad:

----------

I've love to know, just what spec of 'PC' this graphical power is equal to.

Give a PC the same screen resolution.

What CPU and GPU would a PC have to use to match the power?

I know they will be faking a lot, and using tricks, like games on rails etc, but that's not my point.

I would love to know at what stage, in genuine PC gaming terms, iOS devices are at right now, with the iPhone6 and the soon to be iPad Air2

Would it be the CPU doing the maths or the GPU throwing the pixels around that are the weakest links?

Is there anythink you can run on an iOS machine, say with 1920x1080 iPhone6 that we can get some idea?
iPad Air and iPad mini retina runs a resolution of 2048 x 1536 which is most likely higher than your computer's resolution unless you are using the MacBook Pro with retina display.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Stunning graphics!

Downloaded on my iPad Mini. Played with for about 5 minutes. Uninstalling now :) No objectives or reason to continue playing?

I'll keep it on my iPad Air for a while. I basically emptied the thing in preparation for iOS 8, so I'm not hurting for space for a while. And there are a few people I'd like to show it to.

I agree there's not much to do, and admiring the number of polygons only gets you so far.

I really want to go in that house and look around. I want to live there. I'm actually planning to build something like that in a few years. I won't have a koi pond, but there will be a lazy river pool that travels under the overhang of the house. Also I plan to build it on Earth, not Pandora.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
It's no good unless I can spearfish the koi and cut down the cherry trees. Why?

Because...

I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay,
I sleep all night and I work all day.
I cut down trees, I spearfish koi, I like to smoke cherry blossoms.
I always wear pajamas to post to MR forums.

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Modern equivalent to Epic Citadel that came out to demonstrate the graphics potential of the iPhone 4. I still open and play around in that application from time to time, I actually like playable, no kill graphics demos like this.

Guess I need to get out more :eek:

That makes two of us then - I love Epic Citadel and still have it on my phone for the occasional wander around... I reckon it gets launched more than Inifinity Blade does these days.... there was a game that got very old very quickly for me.

Only got an iPhone 5 so can't judge Zen Garden yet.... but tomorrow... :D

Bodie CI5

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2014
Zen Garden is a tech demo that shows off Epic's Unreal Engine 4 as well as Apple's METAL framework, much like Epic's "Epic Citadel" demo (also available in the app store) that showed off Unreal Engine 3.

Thanks, darkfiber, that'll teach me to quickly skim through MR news articles whilst getting dressed for work in the morning.

Appreciate the heads up on that :)

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Neat demo for about 3 minutes, but.... no replay value. :roll eyes:

Asphalt8 however has just been updated to support Metal on newer devices though... so now racing around Tokyo the wet roads look wetter, there are visible raindrops, more reflections/bump mapping, not huge changes but definitely improved graphics.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
I think the Infinity Blade series as we have come to know it is done, but I'm sure it'll be revamped for the iPhone 6S.

Infinity Blade emerged (IIRC) from the tech demo Epic Citadel, which was a complete environment with no characters, used to demo the then-awesome graphics of the iPad. Characters & storyline were added, leading to the popular series.

So, by extrapolation...

Epic Zen Garden is a wonderful tech demo, into which characters & storyline will be added, giving us Kill Bill [The Game].

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.