Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluecabochon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
I am on a rented iBook G4 running OS 10.4.5. until I get my new iMac. I have my old Epson Stylus 740 printer that I would like to connect to this laptop so I can actually work at home. I was previously on B & W G3 desktop running OS 9.2.2. and nearly all of my hardware dates back to 1999.

I checked the Epson site and couldn't find any drivers to download. Am I blind or are they not available? I probably won't be able to use this printer on the Intel iMac (right?) but I'd like to be able to during this interim period.

Thanks in advance.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Have you tried connecting it to see if it will work?

You could always search the drivers in the /Library folder but connecting it would be the easiest way to check it.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Have you tried connecting it to see if it will work?

You could always search the drivers in the /Library folder but connecting it would be the easiest way to check it.

Yes, I would try this. The 740 is/was extremely popular, and if you have the standard Epson drivers all installed with OS X (if you didn't choose not to during a reinstall) then I'm almost guarantee there's a compatible driver. Plug it in and in a page setup window add the printer.

bluecabochon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
I did find a driver and installed it (i think) correctly into the Library. Word recognizes the printer by type but it doesn't print. Used the page setup feature. For Settings: it's set to "Page Attributes"; the other choices are "Custom Paper Size" and "Microsoft Word". Is this the correct setting?

Until last week I was using Office 98; I'm now using Office:mac 2004 Student & Teacher Edition, which is new to me so I'm not that savvy within its navigation yet.

I had to reinstall my Epson printer software off the original CD (did Easy Install) and am hoping that nothing in there is causing a conflict.

Help!

Update 12/11/06: Dids install driver and used printer setup utility, and it works fine. According to Epson, this printer will work on an Intel iMac running Tiger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.