Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaagat111

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I am doing an erase and install and have backed up all my files..I think. I have saved all of my personal files on my iPod, along with my iTunes library folder, as well as my pictures folder which contains the iPhoto Library folder. My question is, by saving this iphoto Library folder, will all I need to do to get my iPhoto library back on my clean hard drive is copy the folder back into Pictures/iPhoto Libary.

I do not want to lose anything by doing this, for I will just leave the computer the way it is if the process is too complicated. Besides music, pictures, and any personal files/folders, are there any important library or tiger specific folders I need to save.

Also, with all of my software, I can simply re-install all of my programs onto the clean hard-drive, right? Serial #'s and that stuff doesn't matter.

Any other tips or comments would be appreciated

Thanks,

AAA

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Is there a reason you won't be doing an Archive and Install? It would make your life much easier, and after a couple days/weeks, you can just delete the "Previous System" folder once you make sure you don't need any of it.

The directories you need to save when doing an erase and install depend on what you've got installed, and where you put your files and data.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
My advice is, don't do it at all. The benefits of clean installs are essentially zero, and you have stated the risks of the procedure quite succinctly yourself.

aaagat111

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Erase and Install..

I think I should just clarify that I am sending my powerbook into Apple because of the "white spots" on my screen. When I talked to them at the Genius bar, I asked them why they would need to erase my HD, because it is a screen issue, but all they said was just make sure, for you don't want to lose anything if we DO have to.

Anyway, it is not my decision to erase the HD, but if it does I want to make sure all my pref. and files are saved.

Thanks so far,

AAA

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Then all you need to do is back up your whole hard drive. Apple will erase and install if they need to. You don't have to do it. Don't worry about selectively copying, just get it all backed up and hand it over to Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.