Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patearrings

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
If you have “erase my iPhone after 10 failed passcode attempts” enabled on your phone and someone enters an incorrect passcode 10 times therefore erasing it. Does this also erase the “find my iphone” feature meaning you can no longer find your phone through iCloud?

Unbelievably I can’t find an answer on google for this.

Thanks

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
If you have “erase my iPhone after 10 failed passcode attempts” enabled on your phone and someone enters an incorrect passcode 10 times therefore erasing it. Does this also erase the “find my iphone” feature meaning you can no longer find your phone through iCloud?

Unbelievably I can’t find an answer on google for this.

Thanks

No, Find My still works if the phone is erased.

Think about it, if someone stole your phone, all they would have to do is trigger the erase and then they could set it up as new, making the Find My feature totally useless.

Edit: I was incorrect. See last post.

Last edited:

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
I found this:

Apparently, after the device is erased, Find My to locate the device won't work, but you still wouldn't be able to setup the device as new.

patearrings

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
I found this:

Apparently, after the device is erased, Find My to locate the device won't work, but you still wouldn't be able to setup the device as new.
So it would still be locked to the original owners icloud account requiring their apple id details to unlock it?

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
Right, i see. But you can't actually locate the stolen phone anymore? Seems kind of pointless?

The idea with Activation Lock (which is distinct from Find My) is to make it impossible to use a stolen iPhone unless you have the Apple ID password. This is to discourage the theft in the first place, if the thieves know how it's set up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.