Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
I have an iPod classic, that is somehow going bad. The screen is gone almost all white, and I can barely read it. I tried to connect it to iTunes, but iTunes does not seem to be reading it.

How can I erase it? I have a bunch of music on it, but I want to try to sell it on eBay as for parts.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Why do you care if music's still on it then? If someone connects it to their library it'll just overwrite it.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Why do you care if music's still on it then? If someone connects it to their library it'll just overwrite it.
I guess so, but still it is a form of my personal information on there, and I am not comfortable with that. I feel it is better or more likely to sell if it is cleaned off, wouldn't you rather get a clean iPod iPhone etc? than something with all their stuff on it?

Reactions: LinusR

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
If your computer can't read it, and you think it's only good for parts, then chances are anyone who purchases it for parts won't be able to get any personal information from it either.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
It is odd, because I can see the content on the iPod, but with some difficulty because it is very light, the screen is not a solid white, but nearly solid white, so I can barely read the screen, and I can still scroll through the content. It seems to power up and the scroll wheel still works, it is just the screen is suddenly nearly solid white.

I tried to connect it to iTunes to restore it, but it does not even show up in iTunes.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Do you have Disk Mode enabled (like does it show up on the desktop)? Because if you at least have that you could wipe the drive in Disk Utility and do essentially the same thing.
No, does not show up anywhere on my computer, not in Finder, iTunes, Disk utility or anything else. It takes a charge, I can plug it into the 30 pin cable, but that is it.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Alright, well, just to maybe put you at some ease, the most likely thing someone's going to do after buying it is take the drive out and stick a thing that lets them use a SD drive instead. That and replace the screen.

Reactions: Slix
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.