Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Itconnects

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2020
Hello, I erased my Mac via command R. However, upon restart it’s still at the spinning globe and no sign of movement whatsoever. We’re pushing past 12 hours with Ethernet cable. Please help.

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
Are you trying to restore the macOS that was installed?

There are several options on how to install macOS again
  • Command-R: when you press and hold these two keys during the startup process, macOS Recovery will offer the current version of the most recently installed macOS.
  • Option-Command-R: when you press and hold these three keys during the startup process, macOS Recovery may offer the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.
  • Shift-Option-Command-R: when you press and hold these four keys during the startup process, macOS Recovery may offer the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.
edit: This is for macOS Catalina. So perhaps you should try the Shift-Option-Command-R.

Last edited:

Itconnects

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2020
Are you trying to restore the macOS that was installed?

There are several options on how to install macOS again
  • Command-R: when you press and hold these two keys during the startup process, macOS Recovery will offer the current version of the most recently installed macOS.
  • Option-Command-R: when you press and hold these three keys during the startup process, macOS Recovery may offer the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.
  • Shift-Option-Command-R: when you press and hold these four keys during the startup process, macOS Recovery may offer the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.
edit: This is for macOS Catalina. So perhaps you should try the Shift-Option-Command-R.

No, I don’t want to restore my info. Just a basic level MacOs, that’s it.

I’m only getting this dreaded internet recovery no matter what I do. I’d like to add that the computer starts on its own. There’s no way to shut it down. Holding down the power button promptly initiates a restart

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
First thing I would try is to unplug it from the wall, and press power button while it is disconnected. To drain any power lingering in the system. (This is suggestions from my experience building my own PCs in the past).
I would also remove any extra cards installed (if there is any).
Plug the system back in, and power up. Does it behave like expected? And it can be shut down, continue.

If you still can not get macOS reinstalled.
Then you might need the Apple Configurator App on a separate mac, and follow the guide, as one would do if you had replaced the internal Apple SSD with a new upgrade kit.

Restore with Apple Configurator guide
---

I am sorry if I am stating the obvious. As I have no idea how, or what, has happened, or what you might have tried already

Reactions: Itconnects

Itconnects

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2020
First thing I would try is to unplug it from the wall, and press power button while it is disconnected. To drain any power lingering in the system. (This is suggestions from my experience building my own PCs in the past).
I would also remove any extra cards installed (if there is any).
Plug the system back in, and power up. Does it behave like expected? And it can be shut down, continue.

If you still can not get macOS reinstalled.
Then you might need the Apple Configurator App on a separate mac, and follow the guide, as one would do if you had replaced the internal Apple SSD with a new upgrade kit.

Restore with Apple Configurator guide
---

I am sorry if I am stating the obvious. As I have no idea how, or what, has happened, or what you might have tried already
I have tried nothing but the other Commands upon restart to end up in the same place. First wifi got me an error -2005f, then I switched to ethernet.

All I did was restart from a working OS while holding down COMMAND - R -> ERASE MAC -> restart and here I am

I'll try that and report back

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
If you chose erase mac, it should only have removed your personal files. And reset to factory settings. Which one would do if one planned to sell the mac. But the system should be ready for setup when booted up again.
On a mac system with the T2 chip, like your Mac Pro 7.1

Itconnects

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2020
If you chose erase mac, it should only have removed your personal files. And reset to factory settings. Which one would do if one planned to sell the mac. But the system should be ready for setup when booted up again.
On a mac system with the T2 chip, like your Mac Pro 7.1
Yes exactly. It shouldn’t need internet recovery correct?
I didn’t choose reset to factory settings though. Is there an option somewhere for that or does the erase imply?

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
Yes, download the app on your MacBook Pro, and it will do the job.

• Mac Pro with desktop enclosure: On the top of the Mac, plug the USB-C cable into the USB-C port farthest from the power button.

I did this with my iMac Pro, when I upgraded with a 4 TB SSD kit from Apple, on my Mac Pro 7.1

Itconnects

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2020
Just to make sure we don't make unnecessary changes.
Read through this one time. And see if we missed something.

First comment from:

Jon Knebel
February 19, 2022 at 3:21 am
On Catalina I never get the utilities menu. I only get a ‘Recovery Assistant’ How do I get past this to the utilities menu??

Exactly my issue. So I’m not alone

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
I just checked, and the reset to factory settings was introduced in Monterey. So not an option in Catalina.
So you are right, you wiped the macOS when you did the reset.

Itconnects

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2020
I just checked, and the reset to factory settings was introduced in Monterey. So not an option in Catalina.
So you are right, you wiped the macOS when you did the reset.
I see a pad lock where DFU should be. So I clicked restore?

Itconnects

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2020
First it’s on DFU: installing system, then the computer fan turns on and I see the lock symbol and the status bar stops. This is utterly ridiculous I’m at a loss for words how someone could think this a good idea. If there’s a padlock. Why can’t I enter my password?

Itconnects

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2020
Got off the phone with Apple support. So going into Genius Bar to remove a “firmware lock.”

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
Sorry, I had gone to sleep.
At this point, it is good Apple support will help you. Because I do not know how to proceed.

I hope you will document the steps later, in this forum. So people can find an answer to this kind of problem.

Itconnects

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2020
Sorry, I had gone to sleep.
At this point, it is good Apple support will help you. Because I do not know how to proceed.

I hope you will document the steps later, in this forum. So people can find an answer to this kind of problem.

The Apple genius says there is no firmware lock on the computer. I was told the padlock is normal, and only they have access to change anything via configurator. Whether that’s true or not, IDGAF. For some odd reason, my Ethernet wasn’t being accepted by the computer, but internet access was able to be reached at the Genius Bar via recovery. They installed the operating system. Looks like I’m good to go. I still don’t fully understand what’s going on, sorry I’m not able to give you any further insight regarding DFU/Configurator. Thank you for your help

Reactions: Regulus67

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
Thank you for the update in any case 👍
Does that mean that a user can only do this when using new SSDs? And we will be locked out, if we try to re-install macOS, for whatever reason?

Because I can confirm I had no issue installing on a new SSD-kit. And I kept my original 1TB SSD-kit as reserve in case something happens to the new kit. Would be very disappointing, if I will have to swap them back some day. And find it's not possible to use the DFU mode

Itconnects

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2020
Thank you for the update in any case 👍
Does that mean that a user can only do this when using new SSDs? And we will be locked out, if we try to re-install macOS, for whatever reason?

Because I can confirm I had no issue installing on a new SSD-kit. And I kept my original 1TB SSD-kit as reserve in case something happens to the new kit. Would be very disappointing, if I will have to swap them back some day. And find it's not possible to use the DFU mode
Tbh, I have no idea. The only reason I had to use configurator in the first place was because I thought I wasn’t able to use recovery mode, but it turned out it was the internet access. I wasn’t changing ssds I simply wanted to wipe and reinstall OS.
All I can say is I’m fairly competent and I followed the intructions

-Plug in a USB-C cable that can support data transfer as long as power
-Hold power button for 10 second
Then I was greeted with a padlock but that should make sense since it’s T2 protected and I’m not installing a new SSD etc. I assume if I purchased brand new SSD then DFU would have showed up to be protected. The pad-lock seems to be protecting my original ssd, which seems inline with the Apple genius.

• Love
Reactions: Regulus67

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
Just a thought.
You could download and install Catalina, or newer, on a separate disc. Monterey seems rock solid.
And dual boot.
I would do this, if you keep Sonoma, but need some older software that doesn't work properly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.