Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradpitch92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2014
I have a mid-2009 MBP (i know) and I wanted to erase and reinstall Mac OS to hopefully improve performance and also get ready sell/remove from service (wanted all personal info erased). I went into recovery mode and erased the HD and then tried to reboot it and it failed during reinstallation of the Mac OS X. I'm pretty sure I had El Capitan (the latest supported OS with a mid-2009 MBP. I will show you the errors I received during attempted reinstall, as well as what my disk utility looks like. I have no idea why it's failing, but I also tried to download the installation software onto a thumb drive to use as a startup disk, but for some reason I am unable to download the software from this Apple site (I'm using my other MBP, a mid-2012, to try to download the installation software from the Apple site). Any idea what I'm doing wrong or what else I could do?

AfpLl9W.jpg

5JaNwD1.jpg

TaAWzTj.jpg

bradpitch92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2014
Ok, i'll try that.

Do you know where I can find a download link of El Capitan or an earlier OS?

bradpitch92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2014
Sorry I can't download that because my MBP is a mid 2012 that runs High Sierra. Is there any way to get my machine to download El Cap or earlier OS?

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Sorry I can't download that because my MBP is a mid 2012 that runs High Sierra. Is there any way to get my machine to download El Cap or earlier OS?
Your 2012 is compatible with El Cap, even though it’s on High Sierra. Just follow the instructions on the link I provided.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.