Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zeeshee

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2013
Just downloaded ipsw and pressed alt and restore in itunes and selected that ipsw and its done.
no profile installed at all

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Happened to me as well. Tried four times. Different USB ports, DFU mode, etc. Will try restoring via the new Xcode.

Actually, I don't know how to do that, since my iPhone is currently stuck in restore mode and doesn't see the device.

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
Having the same issue here trying to update to 10.0. Tried different USB cables, ports, rebooted, disabled anti-virus, etc. Now seeing if it will update/install on my Mac. (Was trying Winblows before).

guychicago

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
Chicago
I can only see 9.3.3 PB2 after installing the profile. What am I missing?
[doublepost=1465849968][/doublepost]Just saw this on the dev site -
Important: You must have the latest beta version of Xcode 8 installed on your Mac before using a Restore Image to install iOS or tvOS beta software on a device.

Reactions: iOSUser7

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
I'm just gonna install the mobile profile thingy and let it update OTA on the device, if that fails then forget it. Already wasted an hour on it.

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
Same error here. I tried updating first and got the error 14 then I restored with the 10.0 ipsw and still error 14.
I'm restoring to 9.3.2 right now, I will try updating over-the-air with the beta profile.

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I can only see 9.3.3 PB2 after installing the profile. What am I missing?
[doublepost=1465849968][/doublepost]Just saw this on the dev site -
Important: You must have the latest beta version of Xcode 8 installed on your Mac before using a Restore Image to install iOS or tvOS beta software on a device.

We have a winner here. We all missed the notification on the dev center:
8vyssix.png

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
I got it to install with the OTA profile thing, but I'm going back to 9.3.2 as half of my apps lag to hell (which I sort of expect with it being the 1st beta). I installed it, I saw it, I went back to 9.3.2 :)
[doublepost=1465851608][/doublepost]
We have a winner here. We all missed the notification on the dev center:
8vyssix.png
But how does that pertain to those using Winblows? For Mac, sure it makes sense.

gpc17

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2010
You need to have xcode8 beta, then it must install additional components... Then it works...Finally.....

spaceypuppy

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2016
Any way to fix this? Thx!
You need to have xcode8 beta, then it must install additional components... Then it works...Finally.....
This is the problem. Xcode 8 beta has additional components that are necessary for installing the Developer Beta. If you're really a developer and downloading the Beta from Apple, you'll have seen a warning instructing you that this is necessary.

kkdool

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2007
Had the same issue.

Installed Xcode 8 and worked.

Interestingly, iTunes now has a option to update as well as restore from DFU mode. Have not seen that before. So I updated and worked. No restore or backup required

Tamagotchi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
Hi,

I apologize for not updating yesterday.

I restored back to iOS 9, then installed the beta profile on my iPhone and updated OTA. After doing this, clean restores from IPSW files work with no problems.

Cheers!

bahndoos

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
Hi,

I apologize for not updating yesterday.

I restored back to iOS 9, then installed the beta profile on my iPhone and updated OTA. After doing this, clean restores from IPSW files work with no problems.

Cheers!
What that with or without installing xcode8

adrianm2000

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2012
Any way to fix this? Thx!

As others have pointed out, Xcode 8 beta must be installed.

I installed it prior to installing iOS 10, however, I still got Error 14. Turns out you have to launch* it at least once and install the supplemental items before you install iOS 10, or iTunes will still object.

Here's the steps I followed, including the error. They may not all be necessary, but it worked and I included them for completeness.

1. Download the iOS 10 IPSW file for your iPhone/iOS device.
2. Connect your device to MacBook.
3. Launch iTunes.
4. Select your device in the iTunes toolbar. The device details page should display.
5. Backup your device! (I backed up "to iCloud," but "to MacBook" is also fine.)
6. Option-click Restore.
7. Find and select the iOS 10 IPSW file.
8. Wait for Error 14 :)
9. Cancel/dismiss the Error 14 dialog. NOTE: You do not need to reinstall your previous iOS.
10. Quit iTunes. The progress bar on the device will disappear in a minute and be replaced by the "Connect to iTunes" startup graphic.
11. Install Xcode 8 (if not already installed).
12. Launch Xcode 8 and install the supplemental items.
13. Quit Xcode 8.
14. Launch iTunes.
15. Select your device in the toolbar.
16. Option-click Restore.
17. Find and select the iOS 10 IPSW file.
18. Wait for the "Hello" screen, and proceed with installation.
19. When prompted, select "Restore from iCloud" (or from another backup).

Note: Set aside an hour to do this. This process eventually requires a restore from a backup (either iCloud or local). Restore from iCloud took 30+ minutes on fast WiFi. You want to avoid disconnecting your device from the Internet during the restore, so that you don't have to restart the restore, or possibly even have to reinstall iOS 10.

HTH

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
Had error 14 several times before I found out you need the Xcode beta installed as well. It adds background stuff needed to install the beta through iTunes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.