Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laura1o26

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2008
So frustrating

Same issue. I've been all the way through the restore SEVERAL times only to receive error 3004 right at the end every time. Has anyone else had any success yet?

furam90

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Same issue. I've been all the way through the restore SEVERAL times only to receive error 3004 right at the end every time. Has anyone else had any success yet?

Mine just went through. I was getting a little nervous cause it kept crapping out around when it was restoring firmware... but after several attempts I got it working!

So keep trying!

TsuaSai

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
TX
Well after about 20 tries it says its restoring my apps something I haven't seen yet. So maybe it is going to work this time.

filmfanatic24

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2007
I originally got a 3014 error, so I switched networks, then I got error 3004. I found the following article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3694#error3004

There are several solutions for 3xxx errors, but the one that ended up helping was listed as:

This worked for me, and got my phone out of recovery mode. Hopefully it wasn't just a fluke.

Thank you.

My mom called me FREAKING out because she couldn't get her phone back. After trying a couple of things I gave this a shot and it worked like a charm.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Yeah, this is not cool. I got 3004. Unplugged the phone from the computer and when I plugged it back in had to do the restore. For the more part I don't care. All my contacts and everything are in contacts and iCal. I deleted all the music from my phone in preparation of just using iCloud. I will have lost all my text messages which is a pisser, but my big thing is apps. I have never had to do a restore before so I have no clue what I am going to be looking at once this finishes. I'm kind of freaking out right now :-(

tipman2000

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2009
Just bricked my 4

nice, started an update, put my iphone in recovery mode, and THEN decided to contact the server... which consequently gave me 3004, (servers are down from load), and now my phone is bricked until i can get that update. probably wont happen for at least a few more hours. phone isn't completely vital to my survival, but i was hoping that it wouldn't die without warning like this. hopefully everything goes smoothly when the servers are back up.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
I had never had this happen before! I have now been at this for 3 hours and am in the same loop. I am totally freaking out! I can't even call anybody because this is my only phone. I get the 3004 message, then it'll go for a while and look like it's restoring but then throw another error, I'm so flustered right now that I don't remember the message. I have to leave in less than an hour and I have no phone! I think I'm going to be sick. :-(

It just went through restore then verify then back to same error message. I don't know what to do! I AM FREAKING OUT HERE!

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
I keep getting as far as "restoring iPhone firmware" and them error. This is ridiculous! Did not have this when upgrading to iOS 4 last year, why is this so much worse? I need to leave in 30 minutes and I need my phone! So mad right now I could spit nails!

UFMatt

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
I originally got a 3014 error, so I switched networks, then I got error 3004. I found the following article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3694#error3004

There are several solutions for 3xxx errors, but the one that ended up helping was listed as:

This worked for me, and got my phone out of recovery mode. Hopefully it wasn't just a fluke.

Just so I have this right, are you saying quit out of itunes and type that into terminal?

JoelMarcey

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
Northern California
Just so I have this right, are you saying quit out of itunes and type that into terminal?

Theoretically, you:

1. Quit iTunes
2. Type 'dnscacheutil -flushcache' into the Terminal
2a. Restart your computer (I do this just in case; maybe not required)
3. Open iTunes again
4. Restore

But, I am on my 3rd attempt and it craps out at the end like many others. Trying again. Fun times! :rolleyes:

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Mine FINALLY finished the restore. It then went to a screen that looking like I had a choice to either set up as a new phone or restore from backup. I was reading to try to figure out what I should do and it started restore from backup. Now my phone says "Restore in Progress" and iTunes says that it is restoring.

Now, what I am wondering, since it is restoring from backup are all my apps and settings going to still be there? At this point, I don't care so long as I have a working phone! Thanks for giving me a place to vent and something to read while freaking out on the inside. Thank goodness I backed it up before all this! LOL! While it seems like it's been hours and hours, I did the backup at 7:30 and it's only 8:18. Guess it wasn't as long as I thought! :D

MacObsessed

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2011
Lynchburg, VA
Thank you.

My mom called me FREAKING out because she couldn't get her phone back. After trying a couple of things I gave this a shot and it worked like a charm.

I'm glad it helped someone.

----------

Theoretically, you:

1. Quit iTunes
2. Type 'dnscacheutil -flushcache' into the Terminal
2a. Restart your computer (I do this just in case; maybe not required)
3. Open iTunes again
4. Restore

But, I am on my 3rd attempt and it craps out at the end like many others. Trying again. Fun times! :rolleyes:

That worked for me, and I don't know if it helped, but I also changed my DNS address to 8.8.8.8 (Google's I believe) because I've had issues in the past with this (netflix unable to connect for actual streaming etc.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.