Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bless777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
Hi y’all, I’m having this incredibly frustrating issue with my mac that I just cant seem to figure out. I have an m1 2020 Mac mini running Monterey 12.6.2.

I have iCloud syncing my mac mini and my macbook; specifically the Documents, Desktop and Application folders. As of a few months ago, I seem to no longer be able to move any files from these folders to any other area. This means I cant move the files to any folders on my computer that aren’t synced to iCloud, as well as put them on any external hard drive. Every time I try to, I get this message;

The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “[Folder]” can’t be read or written. (Error code -36)

Weirdly, I can put any folder onto iCloud, I just can’t take anything off of it. To remedy this I ran Onyx, ran first aid via Disk Utility (both in safe mode and via applications folder), upgraded my osx to Ventura, clean-installed it back to Monterey, and ran the dot_clean terminal command on my Desktop folder, all with no results whatsoever. I heard that dot_clean is the best way to fix this error but there’s no simple file path to direct it to iCloud drive, and when I write this command--

dot_clean /Users/studentmachine/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs

--it just states “Bad pathname: No such file or directory.”

sometimes it spices things up and instead says “zsh: permission denied” but regardless, it's futile.

I’m honestly completely at a loss as to what to do next. This problem only affects my Mac mini, not my laptop thankfully, so I am able to move some folders around albeit in a pretty awkward and time-consuming way.

notanumber

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2023
Hi, Im having a similar issues. I only get the error copying folders from icloud drive. If I select files instead of folders the copy works without problem. If I copy the folders using terminal cp, all goes fine.
Any news?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.