Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Per Hansa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2021
I am attempting to transfer my iTunes library to an external hard drive in order to free up space on my computer's hard drive. Shortly after the transfer begins I get an Error Code-36 saying Finder "can't complete the operation because some data can't be read or written". I've spent several hours researching previous threads and have tried the following solutions:

1) Typed the "dot_clean" command in the terminal window for my iTunes folder.
2) Ran "First Aid" under disk utility for both my internal and external drives.
3) Ensured the "permissions" are compatible for both the iTunes folder and the external hard drive.

Here are the stats for the involved players: Computer is a 2014 MacBook Pro running High Sierra 10.13.6. External Hard Drive is a "WD My Passport for Mac" formatted as MAC OS Extended (Journaled).
Any help at all with why this is happening, or what I can do to resolve it would be greatly appreciated! If it's due to corrupted files within iTunes I would be fine with a solution that would exclude those files during the transfer, but right now Finder aborts the transfer each time it receives the error-36 for a file. Attaching a few photos to provide more visual info. Thank you!
Error Code 36.png
4TB Permissions.png
Than
Itunes Folder Permissions.png
k you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.