Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

THEYCALLMESID

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
Dehradun
So about 5 minutes into logging into my Mac, all write functions on my hard drive stop working and an error with code - 50 pops up. (See screenshot.)

This includes, but is not limited to, the following
  • Copying any file
  • Moving any file within the drive
  • Downloading anything
  • Saving anything in a software
  • Deleting a file
  • Emptying Trash
The error starts appearing about 5 minutes after start up, so I'm able to run my machine normally before that.

What I've tried till now based on suggestions on other threads :

1. Installed an anti-virus
  2. Ran a Disk Utility First Aid (Including recovery mode)
  3. Ran FSCK on single user mode
  4. Booted up in safe mode - in safe mode, everything seemed to work all right.
I'm honestly frustrated of having to restart over and over again after every five minutes and have no idea what to do anymore. Since, it seemed to work fine in safe mode, I'm guessing it could be a software which starts at start up at that point, but I have no clue how to work this.

All my work has been of halt for two days due to this.

I'm using a Macbook Pro Mid 2012, non-retina with macOS Sierra.

Any help would be appreciated.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Installed an anti-virus"

I recommend that you UN-INSTALL this.
Anti-virus apps on the Mac often cause more troubles than they solve.
Use "MalwareBytes Anti-Malware for Mac". That's all you need.
Get it here:
https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/
DON'T pay for the "paid version". The "free version" works fine.
I recommend that you download and run MalwareBytes RIGHT NOW.

"Booted up in safe mode - in safe mode, everything seemed to work all right."

If things "run fine" in safe mode -- but DO NOT run fine in your "regular" account -- than it usually means that something in the software THAT YOU INSTALLED is mucking things up.
Doing a re-install of system software probably isn't going to help, because the system software is OK (that's why you have no problems in safe mode).

You're going to have to "do the detective work" to find out what that is.
Check your login items.
Check any OS extensions (kexts) that you've installed.

If nothing seems to be helping, I would create a CarbonCopyCloner cloned backup on an external drive.

Then, I would create a new "Test account" on my internal drive.
Then, I would log into the test account and DELETE my old "regular" account.
Then, I would create a NEW account with the username and password I want.
Then, I would slowly and carefully "migrate over" stuff from my cloned backup, testing frequently along the way, until I had re-constructed my working account.

Again, I sense that -something- you installed into your regular account is the culprit.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
Rrun EtreCheck and post the results (or - you can use it on your own to figure out which software may be causing the problem).

EtreCheck makes a list of the hardware you have and the non-Apple software which runs automatically. The reports that are generated removes sensitive information.

https://etrecheck.com/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.