Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2016
I’m having this issue since November last year and I’ve not managed to come across a solution. iMessage works perfectly fine on my Xs Max but whenever I try to respond to a few contacts via “quick reply” method, it seems to never work. Following are the behaviour I’m experiencing.

- lock screen - I can see the message when I 3D Touch on the notification but after typing in the response when I tap on the send button, nothing happens.
- notification centre - I can see the message but when I tap on the send button after typing the response, I see the error mentioned in the title.

I’m baffled at this point as this issue seems to happen with literally only a couple of contacts.

f0b7863f3cd76439d769824d1d9e6ec4.jpg

I’ve already tried the following with no success -

- restart the phone.
- hard reset the phone.
- signing out and back in to iMessage.
- signing out and back in to iCloud.

If anyone has any solution, please let me know. My Reddit post didn’t get a single response either.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2016
It turned out that deleting the conversation didn’t solve it for all the contacts I am having an issue with. Back to square one!

akash.nu

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2016
I’m just stuck with not being able to respond to one particular person using quick reply. No clue what the hell I’m supposed to be doing now. It is so damn frustrating.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Weirdly it worked with the specific person for a couple of hours and then stopped again! I’m baffled

uniquexoxo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2018
South East Asia
This normally happens when you are connected to internet and then got disconnected, Messages doesn’t quickly catch on that iMessage is not possible, so will still try to send message via iMessage. So you have to exit the messages app and then reopen again.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2016
This normally happens when you are connected to internet and then got disconnected, Messages doesn’t quickly catch on that iMessage is not possible, so will still try to send message via iMessage. So you have to exit the messages app and then reopen again.

You didn’t read the op I take it, this only happens when I try to respond using quick reply.

uniquexoxo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2018
South East Asia
No I read it. I just thought it’s same issue since I’ve experienced it too, closing the messages app works. After all both are just the same app

akash.nu

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2016
No I read it. I just thought it’s same issue since I’ve experienced it too, closing the messages app works. After all both are just the same app

It’s the same app but the issue is down to the OS more than the app. But I think I managed to fix it now. Fingers crossed.

TheComputerGeek

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2019
Hey there,
I would try going to Settings > Messages and make sure that iMessage is turned on.
Let me know if it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.