Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrianLWalker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2020
Ogdensburg NY
I have an older Canon MX320 printer that is functional in every respect. I wish to connect it to my new MacBook running Catalina 10.15.5. The MacBook requires a USB-C connector and I have an adapter that allows a USB 2.0 Type A 4-pin to connect to the USB-C. The adapter is functional (I can print the printer's test page) and the scan function seems to work fine but attempting to print PDFs, Pages documents, Google files etc generate the above error message.

The Canon website does not offer a driver. It states that the OS has the drive(s) and software built in. Do I need another driver or file or does my system require a setting change?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Can you select a generic printer type, such post-script, when you add the printer to System Preferences->Printers & Scanners?

Last edited:

BrianLWalker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2020
Ogdensburg NY
Can you select a generic printer type when you add the printer to System Preferences->Printers & Scanners?
It does not allow that option
Can you select a generic printer type, such post-script, when you add the printer to System Preferences->Printers & Scanners?
I did try the "Use Generic Printer Features" option but it did not resolve the problem

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I looked up your printer on the Canon website and the last macOS that is supported for the MX320 is 10.11 (El-Capitan). It states on the Canon website: The driver may be included in your OS or you may not need a driver. Since the printer is really old it is doubtful that Catalina would have the driver to support the printer.

When you add the printer what are your choices for Use: Select Software...?

Last edited:

BrianLWalker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2020
Ogdensburg NY
I am not offered that choice. I am offered the choices of Default, IP or Windows with no other choices or choices available.

My previous MacBook was a El Capitan and it ran the printer flawlessly with the Canon drivers and software available but the Catalina OS doesn't want to acknowledge it

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
My previous MacBook was a El Capitan and it ran the printer flawlessly with the Canon drivers and software available but the Catalina OS doesn't want to acknowledge it

Canon stopped supporting your printer after El Capitan (10.11) and that is why Catalina does not recognize the printer. Catalina does not offer a printer driver for your printer because Canon stopped supporting it. The only thing I see supported for Canon in Catalina is for the Canon scanner. That is probably why you are able to scan but not print without installing a printer driver. If you look in /Library/Printers/Canon there is only an entry for the scanner.

I am not offered that choice. I am offered the choices of Default, IP or Windows with no other choices or choices available.

Select Default then select your printer. At the bottom where it says Use:, from the pull down menu on Use:, select Select Software:. What are your choices?

Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 2.01.01 PM.png

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
You might be able to use a different printer driver for your printer as sometimes the printer manufacturer uses very similar printer engine software in different models. On the Canon website it lists the the MX472 is supported in Catalina. You could download that printer driver, from the Canon website, and try it for your printer. You would select the MX470 driver from the Select Software... pull down menu. If that does not work then uninstall it through the Canon software that you downloaded.

Reactions: BrianLWalker

BrianLWalker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2020
Ogdensburg NY
You might be able to use a different printer driver for your printer as sometimes the printer manufacturer uses very similar printer engine software in different models. On the Canon website it lists the the MX472 is supported in Catalina. You could download that printer driver, from the Canon website, and try it for your printer. You would select the MX470 driver from the Select Software... pull down menu. If that does not work then uninstall it through the Canon software that you downloaded.

I am now printing. Thanks so much for your help.
A BIG bouquet...

Reactions: Doodledon

Doodledon

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2020
Hi Taz, are you able to share your expertise with me also? Same problem only this time it's HP. I have a CP2025 Laserjet and a 6310 Officejet

Both super old, USB connected, been working perfectly up until last night no problems. I haven't done any software updates or anything (they are done manually for my Mac) but this morning nada. The 6310 has the 'filter failed' message and the 2025 is sending the data etc but the printer just doesn't print.

Don't want to go and buy new printer/scanner etc as plenty of life in these (and lots of spare toner!)

Seems it's the same problem as above. I'm running Catalina 10.15.7

I've been trying to fix now for 2hrs and no joy - do you have some wise links to get us back on the working road please? Appreciate it thank you :)

kontrollturm

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2020
Hey,

I have the same problems on 2 Macs since this week. Also CP2025 / CP2025dn Filter Error. Any Ideas?

PS: It started on one MAC and it was still possible to print to a shared printer of the "working" Mac.

Doodledon

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2020
Hey,

I have the same problems on 2 Macs since this week. Also CP2025 / CP2025dn Filter Error. Any Ideas?

PS: It started on one MAC and it was still possible to print to a shared printer of the "working" Mac.
I haven't yet resolved mine sadly - if you manage to find any further info/fix please do let me know also :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.