Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khalil Dhahbia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2020
Hello everybody, this is my first post in this forum,
i own a macbook pro 2015 i5 8g ram and i'm running Yosemite 10.10.5 on it,
i want to install the Sierra version 10.12.5 , i downloaded the version from the apple site and i followed this video
to make a bootable usb drive

i erase my usb drive ( 16 gb ) with disk utility using macos extendend( journaled ) and i followed the video steps,

Capture d’écran 2020-05-14 à 13.25.01.png

when pressing enter error : my disk ( /Volumes/Untitled ) is not a valide volume point.
Can someone help me ? thanks

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
When you erased the USB drive you gave it a name. It either needs to be named "Untitled" or you need to adjust the volume name in your terminal command to match the name of the drive.

Khalil Dhahbia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2020
When you erased the USB drive you gave it a name. It either needs to be named "Untitled" or you need to adjust the volume name in your terminal command to match the name of the drive.
i didn't understand you ( sorry my english is not very good ) so the problem came from the usb name , should i change the name to for example "MYUSB" ?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
You can name it anything, but the name must match what is in the scripted command. For example, if your drive is named MYUSB, you must use:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MYUSB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hello everybody, this is my first post in this forum,
i own a macbook pro 2015 i5 8g ram and i'm running Yosemite 10.10.5 on it,
i want to install the Sierra version 10.12.5 , i downloaded the version from the apple site and i followed this video
to make a bootable usb drive

i erase my usb drive ( 16 gb ) with disk utility using macos extendend( journaled ) and i followed the video steps,

View attachment 914975
when pressing enter error : my disk ( /Volumes/Untitled ) is not a valide volume point.
Can someone help me ? thanks
Apple has a bug in its createinstallmedia program that's included with this installer. It's not the name of your drive that's the problem. Refer to this post for the fix:
Also, this will install 10.12.6. I'd really suggest that unless you have a very specific reason to only install Sierra, that you install one of the newer operating systems. Sierra is also out of support and is outdated.

Reactions: chabig

Khalil Dhahbia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2020
You can name it anything, but the name must match what is in the scripted command. For example, if your drive is named MYUSB, you must use:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MYUSB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app
Capture d’écran 2020-05-14 à 13.47.35.png

Same problem, i read her https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...point-cant-make-bootable-drive.1935673/page-2 that the problem is from the new version installer of sierra
[automerge]1589460673[/automerge]
Apple has a bug in its createinstallmedia program that's included with this installer. It's not the name of your drive that's the problem. Refer to this post for the fix:
Also, this will install 10.12.6. I'd really suggest that unless you have a very specific reason to only install Sierra, that you install one of the newer operating systems. Sierra is also out of support and is outdated.
what is the best version for my mac i5 2.7 8go ram, i don't want to loose performance and problem of drain batteries because Yosemite is the best one for me but i had to upgrade because the software is not supported now

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
what is the best version for my mac i5 2.7 8go ram, i don't want to loose performance and problem of drain batteries because Yosemite is the best one for me but i had to upgrade because the software is not supported now
I'd put Mojave on it.

Khalil Dhahbia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2020
Big thanks to EricFromCanada, finally I installed Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6, this is the solution posted in another topic

EricFromCanada said:
I've solved the reissued Sierra installer issue. The original installer's version is 12.6.03, while the reissued installer is version 12.6.06. It turns out that to get the reissued installer working, all you have to do is open its Info.plist file and change the value for CFBundleShortVersionString from 12.6.06 to 12.6.03. This can be done with a single command using plutil:
Code

sudo plutil -replace CFBundleShortVersionString -string "12.6.03" /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Info.plist

Reactions: camslice and kabas

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Big thanks to EricFromCanada, finally I installed Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6, this is the solution posted in another topic

EricFromCanada said:
I've solved the reissued Sierra installer issue. The original installer's version is 12.6.03, while the reissued installer is version 12.6.06. It turns out that to get the reissued installer working, all you have to do is open its Info.plist file and change the value for CFBundleShortVersionString from 12.6.06 to 12.6.03. This can be done with a single command using plutil:
Code

sudo plutil -replace CFBundleShortVersionString -string "12.6.03" /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Info.plist
You're still running an outdated, insecure operating system with Sierra, so keep that in mind. You're likely to begin to have app compatibility issues with Sierra soon too.

lrook

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2021
Guys i have similar problem :
My SSD in my 2010 Imac died without warning latest possible OS High Sierra!
i try to create bootdisk with High Sierra from my macbookpro running Catalina 10.15.7
i formatted a USB drive downloaded High Sierra Installer version 13.6.02
when i run suggested commands i also get the error notice
Volume/HS is not a valid mount point
help appreciated

kabas

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2021
Salvador - Bahia

EricFromCanada said:
Code

I registered on this site just to thank you for this solution, it really worked.
Thank you so much!

Reactions: camslice
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.