Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

an-other

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
As we approach a new iPhone cycle, I was wondering if anyone had thoughts to share on practical use of two-line eSIM. Is it working seamlessly? Issues you have? Things that work well? Surprises? Please be sure to include your mobile provider.

My focus is US carriers, however I welcome any comments.

My motivation is wanting to consolidate from two phones to one.

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
This probably isn’t going to help much as I’m not in the US. However, I’m running Spanish Vodafone as an eSIM and the physical SIM is UK GiffGaff (O2 network). I’ve had no problem receiving or making calls on either line.

As iOS 12 only supports iMessage and FaceTime on one line, I’m now running iOS 13 public beta software. It’s not perfect as when messaging from the non data SIM (at the moment UK one), it sometimes sends as SMS. Also sometimes a contact doesn’t show as available for FaceTime, however typing their number in seems to clear it - usually. This only happens with Contacts using the non data UK line, the other line works fine.

I hope this helps.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I have Verizon using an eSim and I have my overseas SIM card. It works perfectly fine. Also I no longer have to switch sims and my iMessage number each time I travel. I just keep them both inserted at all times.

I heard the next iOS is going to allow you to use both SIM cards numbers for iMessage at the same time too, so that’ll be interesting.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Seems like data can't be shared between both lines, if Data set to primary line only and data switching isn't on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.