Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

blueeyes2die4

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2018
Yonkers,NY to San Antonio,TX
I have a VZW eSIM for my postpaid line, and an H2OWireless (ATT MVNO) physical SIM. The VZW line is primary for voice & data.

I have occasionally seen the My Verizon app hang on startup (spinning graphic in the middle), but that may have been before using the eSIM+second SIM. In any case, force quitting the app and restarting it has worked reliably to get it running.

My current setup is T-Mobile postpaid on esim and Verizon prepaid on the physical sim. Nothing has worked to get the app working with my setup. I have force closed the app many times and even deleted the app and downloaded it again and nothing works. I am not very impressed with Verizon data speeds so I may switch to at&t prepaid for physical sim soon.

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
My current setup is T-Mobile postpaid on esim and Verizon prepaid on the physical sim. Nothing has worked to get the app working with my setup. I have force closed the app many times and even deleted the app and downloaded it again and nothing works. I am not very impressed with Verizon data speeds so I may switch to at&t prepaid for physical sim soon.

I stopped at a retail store, and they couldn’t get it working. I chatted with Verizon support on Twitter, and they are going to escalate the issue. I guess we have to wait for an app update. It appears that the app tries to read your phone number incorrectly and just stalls. Too bad there’s no way to force the app to use a straight username/password login.

Gamer-Dad

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2018
Pasadena MD USA
I have Verizon on both eSim (Personal) and physical sim (Work). When I launch the app, it asks which account I want to sign into. Guess since both my sims are on Verizon I haven't came across this issue. Never tried it when my esim was on T-Mobile (switched to Verizon 2 weeks ago).

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
Anyone having issues once TMobile on e sim

Works fine for me, T-Mobile as primary and eSIM, and Xfinity Mobile as secondary and physical SIM.

Been using eSIM for weeks now.

There is a tiny iOS related quirk, however. iOS looks for the physical SIM first and calls it Number One if it finds it.

This is usually just fine; however, Open Signal will report that I am using Xfinity Mobile even though the data is set to use T-Mobile. This will result in an eventual corruption of the Open Signal maps because they will be showing that data pulls were Xfinity Mobile (Verizon) when they were T-Mobile.

So far, only Open Signal has had an issue with finding "Number One" and reporting it incorrectly. It should be an easy thing for Open Signal to fix in their next application upgrade.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Hopefully they will fix this bug soon (no Instant hotspot with eSIM)

As a workaround, I now leave a physical SIM active as well, but never use it (I purchased an Air Baltic Card global roaming SIM, it offers EU+US data roaming for €15/GB, so it's still a good thing to have). At least that way I can use instant hotspot until Apple fixes the bug.

Rider3

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
I have an iP 8 and an XS. I have the physical sim for AT&T with which I switch between the two phones. If I have my XS provisioned to the eSIM for travel outside the country, how would I be able to use the 8 again locally?

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
I have an iP 8 and an XS. I have the physical sim for AT&T with which I switch between the two phones. If I have my XS provisioned to the eSIM for travel outside the country, how would I be able to use the 8 again locally?

You won’t be able to use it unless your carrier can offer you multi SIM or you will need to do a SIM swap back to a new physical one if you want to use the 8.

econrads024

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2013
Lebanon, TENNESSSEE
I am leasing my iPhone through T-Mobile’s jump on demand... if I switch my T-Mobile service to the esim am I able to add another physical sim or is the phone still locked till it’s paid off?

Gamer-Dad

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2018
Pasadena MD USA
I am leasing my iPhone through T-Mobile’s jump on demand... if I switch my T-Mobile service to the esim am I able to add another physical sim or is the phone still locked till it’s paid off?

You can use another physical T-Mobile sim. The phone is locked to there service until it’s paid off. Then you have to request the phone be unlocked which if you read there policy is 40 days after you make final device payment. I argued with them since I paid full for my phone and they agreed to unlock it right away. Within the following week however I jumped shipped to Verizon and brought my phone with me.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
As a workaround, I now leave a physical SIM active as well, but never use it (I purchased an Air Baltic Card global roaming SIM, it offers EU+US data roaming for €15/GB, so it's still a good thing to have). At least that way I can use instant hotspot until Apple fixes the bug.

This seems to vary. I don't know whether it's varying between providers, or varying between regions.

Even with an eSIM and physical SIM cellular plans both turned on, the instant hot spot feature does not show up on any of the Macs that would normally show the iPhone's instant hot spot.

At some point, unless I've gone crazy, they did show the instant hotspot.

But now they do not.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
I've now been using Dual SIM for a while (Swisscom eSIM as my primary line, and Air Baltic Card as a global roaming SIM as my secondary line).

What I've noticed is that whenever the secondary SIM is on a network that has a signal which is worse than what the primary SIM has (for example, 3G vs 4G), data sometimes stops flowing on the primary SIM: I see a good 4G signal, but I can't ping anything or transfer any data.

If I wait a minute or so, or disable the secondary SIM, the primary SIM starts working again.

Has anyone experienced that as well? From a technical perspective it might even make sense, because the iPhone surely can't transmit on 3G and 4G at the same time. But still, it should not negatively impact the primary SIM in my opinion.

Last edited:

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
I've now been using Dual SIM for a while (Swisscom eSIM as my primary line, and Air Baltic Card as a global roaming SIM as my secondary line).

What I've noticed is that whenever the secondary SIM is on a network that has a signal which is worse than what the primary SIM has (for example, 3G vs 4G), data sometimes stops flowing on the primary SIM: I see a good 4G signal, but I can't ping anything or transfer any data.

If I wait a minute or so, or disable the secondary SIM, the primary SIM starts working again.

Has anyone experienced that as well? From a technical perspective it might even make sense, because the iPhone surely can't transmit on 3G and 4G at the same time. But still, it should negatively impact the primary SIM in my opinion.

Not an issue here. The only issue I had is that if the secondary/eSIM drops coverage while roaming, the iPhone resets the physical/primary/local SIM coverage trying to find coverage for the eSIM/secondary/roaming. It does it once or twice at max then no more whether it finds signal or not.

Reactions: ManuCH

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
From a technical perspective it might even make sense, because the iPhone surely can't transmit on 3G and 4G at the same time. But still, it should [not] negatively impact the primary SIM in my opinion.

This is interesting. By any chance are you on 12.1.3?

If you are on 12.1.3, could you please bug report this?

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
This is interesting. By any chance are you on 12.1.3?

If you are on 12.1.3, could you please bug report this?

I was on 12.1.3 beta 2 and had the issue, then I reverted to 12.1.2 because I thought it was a beta bug. I still have it. I will report it to Apple via Developer Bug Reporter.

econrads024

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2013
Lebanon, TENNESSSEE
I requested my iPhone to be unlocked from tmobile. how long has it taken you guys previously to get your phones unlocked when requesting it? they said it could be up to 2 days?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.