Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
What is the status of eSIM support (Verizon / T-Mobile)? Do support people still make big eyes when asking for it? Is the eSIM tech fairly common and popular? Few of my family members are planning international travel and will need an access to a local phone number. I plan to convert their current SIMs (a few of them are on Verizon and a few on T-mobile) to eSIM to free up SIM card ports for an international SIM card.
Does using dual SIM capabilities require that iPhones be carrier unlocked? When the phones are carrier locked, are they locked for both eSIM and SIM or one of them?

Thanks

Reactions: Splitrail

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Verizon Wireless and Mint Mobile (T-Mobile) - I use both on my esim on my iPhone 13 Pro Max. Been working really well for me. Switching from sim to esim on Verizon Wireless (I did this a little bit ago) was pretty easy and painless. I had Mint as e-sim since I signed up with them earlier this year. Switching between both is super easy and nice. Not a lot of documentation on them but they've been working really well for me. It took awhile to figure out how to set my own esim pin as the documentation on what the carrier pin was not super easy to get.

Managing both (as sim+esim and now esim+esim) has been a breeze and super easy to do. I love how when I usually have 0 Verizon bars, I have near max T-Mobile bars (and vice versa). You can set them up to help each other automatically (and they do that really well) - or you can set them up not to. Very happy with the options given.

As far as your last few questions - I can't answer that - I buy my phone unlocked from Apple. Hope someone else will chime in.

Good luck!

Last edited:

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Verizon Wireless and Mint Mobile (T-Mobile) - I use both on my esim on my iPhone 13 Pro Max. Been working really well for me. Switching from sim to esim on Verizon Wireless (I did this a little bit ago) was pretty easy and painless. I had Mint as e-sim since I signed up with them earlier this year. Switching between both is super easy and nice. Not a lot of documentation on them but they've been working really well for me. It took awhile to figure out how to set my own esim pin as the documentation on what the carrier pin was not super easy to get.

Managing both (as sim+esim and now esim+esim) has been a breeze and super easy to do. I love how when I usually have 0 Verizon bars, I have near max T-Mobile bars (and vice versa). You can set them up to help each other automatically (and they do that really well) - or you can set them up not to. Very happy with the options given.

As far as your last few questions - I can't answer that - I buy my phone unlocked from Apple. Hope someone else will chime in.

Good luck!
Really appreciate the response. This gives me some optimism and hopes that when I reach out to these carriers, they will actually know what to do. Can anyone comment on the carrier locked and dual sim setup? I would appreciate that

Reactions: BigMcGuire

K4VKS

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
I find esim support to be hit or miss. Some really know their stuff, some are clueless.

As for your last question, I don’t know with certainty, but I’d assume both sims would be carrier locked.

zarmanto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2014
Around the corner from the 7/11
MacRumors reported awhile back that an eSIM only version of the iPhone 14 might make an appearance, and Apple has placed carriers on notice to prepare for that eventuality. If there is any truth at all to that rumor, then acceptance and support of eSIMs could possibly improve over the next few months, running up to the fall release of new iPhones.

Reference: iPhone 14 With eSIM Only Will Likely Be Optional Model, Says Analyst

Zyon22

macrumors member
May 17, 2022
MacRumors reported awhile back that an eSIM only version of the iPhone 14 might make an appearance, and Apple has placed carriers on notice to prepare for that eventuality. If there is any truth at all to that rumor, then acceptance and support of eSIMs could possibly improve over the next few months, running up to the fall release of new iPhones.

Reference: iPhone 14 With eSIM Only Will Likely Be Optional Model, Says Analyst
IOS 16 had some changes to the way E-sim's are setup compared to IOS 15.5 where you would have to contact your carrier in IOS 16 you can just do it from settings app.

That seems to be a pretty good clue they are planning on dumping the physical slot.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Bumping this thread. I recently switched from AT&T to Verizon and took advantage of their free iPhone 14 offer. However it is locked for 60 days. Can I activate my work T-Mobile line to the second eSim or am I stuck until 60 days?

FYI the guy isn’t the store said second e-sim is not locked but it didn’t activate.

zarmanto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2014
Around the corner from the 7/11
Bumping this thread. I recently switched from AT&T to Verizon and took advantage of their free iPhone 14 offer. However it is locked for 60 days. Can I activate my work T-Mobile line to the second eSim or am I stuck until 60 days?

FYI the guy isn’t the store said second e-sim is not locked but it didn’t activate.
To make the obvious assumption, (feel free to correct me if I'm guessing wrong here) you were probably at a Verizon Wireless retail store location, correct? Because it's my take that any "guy in the store" at a cellular company's storefront is more likely than not just telling you what you want to hear in order to make the sale; he probably doesn't actually know one way or the other.

Your best bet is to head over to an Apple Retail Store and talk to the folks at the Genius Bar. FYI, I believe you have to make an appointment before walking into the store, these days, and even with an appointment there may still be a wait... but I think it would probably be worth it to talk to someone who has a vested interest in actually helping you solve your problem. If you don't have an Apple Retail Store in your area, call up their support line. It's likely that they still offer some level of free phone support with new purchases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.