Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoeTomasone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2014
Multiple sources I asked at AT&T - while generally saying that they hadn't been given much/any information yet - all seemed to conclude that a phone locked to AT&T would have the eSim locked as well, and that to unlock the eSim for use overseas, you'd need to purchase the phone outright. Anyone else know if this is true, checked with their carrier, etc?

Complicating this is the fact that i bought the XS Max at Best Buy and got the MT5D2LL/A, which according to multiple sites is the United States – Unlocked SIM-free version. It is definitely locked to AT&T on the main SIM - I've tried swapping it - but the question is the eSim. If it's locked to AT&T as well, that rather diminishes the point of having it - unless you want to pay it off and go through the unlock procedure.

I have an overseas trip coming up in December and really would like to get an eSim for data from a local provider (or simply get a T-Mo eSim here and use their roaming).

Anyone know anything about this?

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Multiple sources I asked at AT&T - while generally saying that they hadn't been given much/any information yet - all seemed to conclude that a phone locked to AT&T would have the eSim locked as well, and that to unlock the eSim for use overseas, you'd need to purchase the phone outright. Anyone else know if this is true, checked with their carrier, etc?

Complicating this is the fact that i bought the XS Max at Best Buy and got the MT5D2LL/A, which according to multiple sites is the United States – Unlocked SIM-free version. It is definitely locked to AT&T on the main SIM - I've tried swapping it - but the question is the eSim. If it's locked to AT&T as well, that rather diminishes the point of having it - unless you want to pay it off and go through the unlock procedure.

I have an overseas trip coming up in December and really would like to get an eSim for data from a local provider (or simply get a T-Mo eSim here and use their roaming).

Esim isn’t active yet

JoeTomasone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2014
Right - but the question isn't "is eSim available today?", it's "when 12.1 comes out and the feature IS available, will the eSim be locked to the carrier?".

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Right - but the question isn't "is eSim available today?", it's "when 12.1 comes out and the feature IS available, will the eSim be locked to the carrier?".

If you owe $ on the handset to the carrier it will be. If you bought it unlocked (full price or through the Apple Upgrade Program), it should remain unlocked. eSIM or physical SIM wouldn't change this. From the Apple Support document:

Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 1.41.40 PM.png

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

Unless you are on a payment plan with AT&T, your SIM free phone should not be locked, in my opinion.
[doublepost=1538160767][/doublepost]I have the SIM-Free version in gold 256with a model #MT5F2LL/A

mcorf

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2008
Campbell,Ohio
The e-sim will be locked to ATT, but the nano SIM should be unlocked for overseas is what I was told.If you get it through the Apple Upgrade Program. If you get it through ATT, it might be locked.

Last edited:

JoeTomasone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2014
you didn't say that in your OP

Huh?

“a phone locked to AT&T would have the eSim locked as well, and that to unlock the eSim for use overseas, you'd need to purchase the phone outright. Anyone else know if this is true, checked with their carrier, etc?”

ttentelh

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2018

if your phone is not unlocked by manufacturer, then you are stock with the carrier locked with. Only if you paid off the phone you can request to unlock it, therefore you may use any carrier you want, except Verizon and sprint

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.