Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TurboJobo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2009
San Diego/Tijuana
For the past 11 years, I traveled all over the world for work averaging 250,000 butt in seat air miles per year. In all that time, I never once used a physical sim purchased locally. I did however use a combination of physical sims (Google FI & T-Mobile) in the early days, and more recently (since iPhone XS) eSims.

I can unequivocally say that the eSim performance and sim performance are exactly the same. If you had issues in Mexico, it wasn't due to eSim technology... rather a carrier issue (your carrier or roaming partners).

With the advent of apps like airalo, international travel has become easier and cheaper! Just got back from a trip to Germany and Italy where I used 2 different eSims from Airalo, and they worked brilliantly. Cheaper than US carrier rates (AT&T, FI, T-Mobile etc) and less latency due to not routing all traffic back to the USA. Not only that, but I didn't have to worry about getting nastygrams from my US carrier about excessive roaming.

Frankly the only time I might be tempted to get a local sim is if for some reason I need a local phone number. However now that nobody under 30 makes phone calls, and everyone over 30 makes them via Whatsapp, Wechat, Telegram, Line, Signal etc... there is no more need for a local# for short-term travel.

eSim is the future, and for anyone who isn't a long-term traveler (>1 month) , there is zero reason to keep the physical sim tray.
Maybe it was the carrier or the partners but now that I have a physical sim my service is working great again. Local numbers are still needed to register to apps that wont let you log in without an email. Physical sim is still more convenient on my opinion. Maybe is the future yeah but not for the next 1-2 years in my opinion

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
I used to buy local SIM when I travelled overseas. But these days, I just buy a T-mobile pass which makes my phone as if I am in the US for data and calls. 1 day $5 and 10 days (5GB) $35 or 30 days (15 GB) $50. For Canada and US, my plan is same as US. Google Fi works out expensive for me on top of T-mobile local US plan.
What good is this??? You make a local call in Chiangmai or Inchon, will they pick up? Will they call back??? I think not. The use of a removable sim is to put a local sim in and start making and receiving calls. Most of us the need this use prepaid, where most of the world won’t allow esim on prepaid. If you don’t understand the hassles esim only causes, then don’t hast presumption

redcarlsen

macrumors regular
May 22, 2014
What good is this??? You make a local call in Chiangmai or Inchon, will they pick up? Will they call back??? I think not. The use of a removable sim is to put a local sim in and start making and receiving calls. Most of us the need this use prepaid, where most of the world won’t allow esim on prepaid. If you don’t understand the hassles esim only causes, then don’t hast presumption
The prices he quotes may be convenient for his use, but it's also quite expensive compared to the very affordable physical sims many countries offer for travelers.

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
For the past 11 years, I traveled all over the world for work averaging 250,000 butt in seat air miles per year. In all that time, I never once used a physical sim purchased locally. I did however use a combination of physical sims (Google FI & T-Mobile) in the early days, and more recently (since iPhone XS) eSims.

I can unequivocally say that the eSim performance and sim performance are exactly the same. If you had issues in Mexico, it wasn't due to eSim technology... rather a carrier issue (your carrier or roaming partners).

With the advent of apps like airalo, international travel has become easier and cheaper! Just got back from a trip to Germany and Italy where I used 2 different eSims from Airalo, and they worked brilliantly. Cheaper than US carrier rates (AT&T, FI, T-Mobile etc) and less latency due to not routing all traffic back to the USA. Not only that, but I didn't have to worry about getting nastygrams from my US carrier about excessive roaming.

Frankly the only time I might be tempted to get a local sim is if for some reason I need a local phone number. However now that nobody under 30 makes phone calls, and everyone over 30 makes them via Whatsapp, Wechat, Telegram, Line, Signal etc... there is no more need for a local# for short-term travel.

eSim is the future, and for anyone who isn't a long-term traveler (>1 month) , there is zero reason to keep the physical sim tray.
I rarely make calls out of country wherever I’m at. So a physical sim is an imperative There’s a reason why the rest of the world won’t allow esim only. I’ll tell you why with one simple word…!!!!!STUPID!!!!

Mcrumors David

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2014
I understand that I just feel all this eSIM issues will probably be all worked out next year with the iPhone 15 but for example in Mexico there is only three carriers that use eSIM, which are Telcel,At&t, and Movistar. Only Movistar lets you get eSIM with prepaid plans and on select locations. All other require you get a plan of some sort to get eSIM which is stupid since people who travel aren't planning on getting a long plan...

...I can buy an e-Sim for Mexico in 10 seconds.

* you are wrong about the long plan
* you are wrong about your carriers

1663832259331.png

SouthPalito

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2021
I have multiple esims in my phone for several countries. Never had an issue getting a new one . I stopped using physical sim cards about a year ago and never really needed one ever since.

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
...I can buy an e-Sim for Mexico in 10 seconds.

* you are wrong about the long plan
* you are wrong about your carriers

View attachment 2075114
No, you’re wrong. Your idea of international travel is crossing the southern broader. Go travel east Asia swapping register esim would be a hassle on prepaid. The rest of the world won’t allow esim only phones, ever bother to wonder why that is??? And I promise it’s not going to change for a long while. But I understand how one may think the above remark and being so smart and stuck on presumption…it’s gotta be tough. Simple fact of the matter is apple is cutting costs on manufacturing and raising prices by Guinea pig’n it’s US customers to see how far they can push it. Those who adore their esim only, then have at it. But count me and most of the world out of this cheap business model.

I think most here are Mac/iPhone zealots where their Lord Manufacturer can do no wrong. What a freaking joke hahaha. Freak joke ha-ha-ha!

Last edited:

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
Maybe is the future yeah but not for the next 1-2 years in my opinion
I'd extend that to 3-5 years.

I think esim is an excellent alternative (in theory) to the physical sim.
Unfortunately the implementation of esim the world over leaves a lot to be desired...

When I travel, I'm primarily using data. But there are occasions where I need a local number to make and receive calls, SMS messages (ie to sign up to a in-country service) etc.

Would love it if esim was more widely available, to the point where you can just walk up to a kiosk/shop/counter, pay for a plan, scan the QR code and continue on your journey. Yes, this is reality in some countries, but not many unfortunately...

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: arkitect

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
Go travel east Asia swapping register esim would be a hassle on prepaid.

Very true. No different to the Middle east or parts of Africa.

From what i gather, macrumours has an "american centric" viewpoint (not surprising given americans appear to make up the majority of posters on this forum), and whilst esim may work well in the US and in areas in relatively close proximity to the US (ie Canada, Mexico, Central america etc), step outside of that sphere and it's a very different story in many countries. eSim is either far more difficult to obtain (compared to a physical sim) or is just outright not supported.

Mcrumors David

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2014
No, you’re wrong. Your idea of international travel is crossing the southern broader. Go travel east Asia swapping register esim would be a hassle on prepaid....

Really? Seems pretty easy (I can buy an e-Sim while waiting at the gate for my flight, no need to try and get a prepaid-sim with my passport in broken thai at a 7-11) ... check this ->

1663840112037.png

1663840077368.png

Reactions: lordhamster

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
Really? Seems pretty easy (I can buy an e-Sim while waiting at the gate for my flight, no need to try and get a prepaid-sim with my passport in broken thai at a 7-11) ... check this ->
From what I can tell, most of airalo's plans are data only (so no in-country phone number), so it looks to be a viable option if data is all you need.

I haven't used airalo myself, so can't say whether they offer a decent service or not...

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
From what I can tell, most of airalo's plans are data only (so no in-country phone number), so it looks to be a viable option if data is all you need.

I haven't used airalo myself, so can't say whether they offer a decent service or not...
I've used Airalo, US Mobile (international eSims can be bought there), Truphone, Dent.
All of these providers worked great and I was up and running with an eSim in minutes.

I rarely make calls out of country wherever I’m at. So a physical sim is an imperative There’s a reason why the rest of the world won’t allow esim only. I’ll tell you why with one simple word…!!!!!STUPID!!!!
For long-term travel of over 1 month I'd agree with you.

For short term travel of under 1 month, I have never been in a situation where I needed a local number, data plans (via eSim of my carrier) was all I ever needed.

For example:

• India: If I needed to make a local call, I could use my carrier's roaming capability - $.25USD/min for the 2 min it took me to call my hotel and ask where the hell the pre-arranged car was. When people there call me, they use WhatsApp calling. Hell in the last 4 years, even the hotel had a whatsapp number. (JW Marriott Mumbai for example)
  • China: If I needed to make a local call, I could use my carrier's roaming capability - $.25USD/min for the 2 min it took me to call my hotel and ask where the hell the pre-arranged car was. When people there call me, they use Wechat to call me
  • UK: If I needed to make a local call, I could use my carrier's roaming capability - $.25USD/min for the 2 min it took me to call my hotel and ask where the hell the pre-arranged car was. When people there call me, they use Whatsapp to call me.
  • Germany: If I needed to make a local call, I could use my carrier's roaming capability - $.25USD/min for the 2 min it took me to call the car rental to tell them my flight was delayed. When people there call me, they use WhatsApp calling
  • Italy: If I needed to make a local call, I could use my carrier's roaming capability - $.25USD/min but didn't because I just texted with my Airb&B host. When people there call me, they use WhatsApp calling
  • Chile: If I needed to make a local call, I could use my carrier's roaming capability - $.25USD/min for the 2 min it took me to call my hotel and ask where the hell the pre-arranged car was. When people there call me, they use WhatsApp calling
  • etc etc etc.

Reactions: kitKAC

Mezoxin

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2022
But my issue with the us version is what did we gain from removal of the physical sim tray ? Is it bigger battery capacity or improved efficiency / battery life ?

TurboJobo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2009
San Diego/Tijuana

not decent at all, twice as expensive as local providers and very little data. In mexico almost all plans if not all include unlimited social medias plus data. Unefon a mnvo has unlimited data for 10 pesos a day 50 cents….. they do not have esim and use at&t antennas

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
not decent at all, twice as expensive as local providers and very little data. In mexico almost all plans if not all include unlimited social medias plus data. Unefon a mnvo has unlimited data for 10 pesos a day 50 cents….. they do not have esim and use at&t antennas
Fair enough. Admittedly for price, local sims are still the best. That said, For ME, the convenience of not having to hunt for a sim store/stand when I arrive at my destination is worth is. I'd rather KNOW my phone will work as at home the moment I land. This is why even before eSim I used Google FI for international travel. Less hassle, despite being more expensive (but not prohibitively expensive). There are TONS of options of all price levels in the eSim world that cover Mexico:Go to the esimdb website (google it) then search for mexico. Not sure if direct links are allowed here.

• Finding a local sim can be a pain, you arrive now you need to hope to find a machine or stand at the airport that is open at the time you arrive. Or go hunting off-airport, wasting time on your trip.
  • Compared to the cost of the plane ticket, hotel, food... paying even as much as $50 to have data on your phone really is a nominal charge.
  • Many countries have made buying physical local sims a PITA with some requiring ID to buy the sim, others even needing a local bank account.
  • While the situation isn't great now. Overall, eSim will be a boon to low cost carriers as all the cost and infrastructure required to distribute sim cards will go away, plus they can boost sales of local cards to travelers via their websites.

But my issue with the us version is what did we gain from removal of the physical sim tray ? Is it bigger battery capacity or improved efficiency / battery life ?
Fair point. AFAIK the two differences between the US and other versions are: Sim Card Tray vs mmWave. I'm indifferent on both. I just wish they'd give up on the ideal of thin phones, and make the phone thicker (flush camera bumps) and give us more battery capacity.

Mezoxin

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2022
Fair point. AFAIK the two differences between the US and other versions are: Sim Card Tray vs mmWave. I'm indifferent on both. I just wish they'd give up on the ideal of thin phones, and make the phone thicker (flush camera bumps) and give us more battery capacity.
Just makes me feel that who ever buys the us version apple is making them pay for initiating change to increase the demand and support for esim by carriers in order to drive the market faster towards the newer tech , if a user is really concerned about ease of use he should just buy another version such as HK version that has 2 physical sim trays

Mcrumors David

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2014
  • Haha
Reactions: Mezoxin

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021

View attachment 2075182

View attachment 2075181
I've used Airalo, US Mobile (international eSims can be bought there), Truphone, Dent.
All of these providers worked great and I was up and running with an eSim in minutes.

For long-term travel of over 1 month I'd agree with you.

For short term travel of under 1 month, I have never been in a situation where I needed a local number, data plans (via eSim of my carrier) was all I ever needed.

For example:

• India: If I needed to make a local call, I could use my carrier's roaming capability - $.25USD/min for the 2 min it took me to call my hotel and ask where the hell the pre-arranged car was. When people there call me, they use WhatsApp calling. Hell in the last 4 years, even the hotel had a whatsapp number. (JW Marriott Mumbai for example)
  • China: If I needed to make a local call, I could use my carrier's roaming capability - $.25USD/min for the 2 min it took me to call my hotel and ask where the hell the pre-arranged car was. When people there call me, they use Wechat to call me
  • UK: If I needed to make a local call, I could use my carrier's roaming capability - $.25USD/min for the 2 min it took me to call my hotel and ask where the hell the pre-arranged car was. When people there call me, they use Whatsapp to call me.
  • Germany: If I needed to make a local call, I could use my carrier's roaming capability - $.25USD/min for the 2 min it took me to call the car rental to tell them my flight was delayed. When people there call me, they use WhatsApp calling
  • Italy: If I needed to make a local call, I could use my carrier's roaming capability - $.25USD/min but didn't because I just texted with my Airb&B host. When people there call me, they use WhatsApp calling
  • Chile: If I needed to make a local call, I could use my carrier's roaming capability - $.25USD/min for the 2 min it took me to call my hotel and ask where the hell the pre-arranged car was. When people there call me, they use WhatsApp calling
  • etc etc etc.
My Korea sim $12 a month. US sim $35 a month. Thai sim $6 a month. I keep these permanent phone numbers with a a lot of contacts. They’re not freaking holiday sims like some here are trying to sell. Can I esim all three of these? No cannot.

I know it’s tough for some here to wrap their minds around a simple matter. Hopefully presumptuous ignorance doesn’t eclipse all for some.

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021

View attachment 2075182

View attachment 2075181
Worthless useless unless you’re a holiday traveler. Some of us actually do live in different parts of the world. Hey I got an idea, try broadening perspective, and get rid of the narrow lens

bgdrew

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2011
Worthless useless unless you’re a holiday traveler. Some of us actually do live in different parts of the world. Hey I got an idea, try broadening perspective, and get rid of the narrow lens
I have an idea: stop being so rude just because others have differing opinions. I don't know if this is a language barrier or something else but your posts come across extremely rude.

For 99% of iPhone users in America (where eSIM models only are sold) this is a non-issue. For that 1% I'm sure solutions will come that will smooth out the bumps.

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
I have an idea: stop being so rude just because others have differing opinions. I don't know if this is a language barrier or something else but your posts come across extremely rude.

For 99% of iPhone users in America (where eSIM models only are sold) this is a non-issue. For that 1% I'm sure solutions will come that will smooth out the bumps.
Nothing rude. I suppose some are overly sensitive, sorta like battered wife syndrome of being subjected and oppressed by the designed corrective for those stuck out in left field. Certainly not rude though 😀

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.