Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
I've seen a couple of posts wherein people have referred to a "chip" on the iPhone that stores eSIM information.

Do we know whether there is any processor overhead associated with the use of an eSIM and the A12?

If there is even a tiny, incremental overhead, or even a theoretical overhead, I can very well imagine that by the time we have eSIM procedures sorted for the major players, people will be talking about all the advantages of sticking to the old system of physical SIM.

0_o

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
Well of course there is, but it should be negligible. Honestly I’m surprised this is even a doubt people are having.

Down in China I’m sure you can get one of those dual or triple SIM phones for $10 or less. Why wouldn’t your A12 iPhone be able to handle this effortlessly?

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I've seen a couple of posts wherein people have referred to a "chip" on the iPhone that stores eSIM information.

Do we know whether there is any processor overhead associated with the use of an eSIM and the A12?

If there is even a tiny, incremental overhead, or even a theoretical overhead, I can very well imagine that by the time we have eSIM procedures sorted for the major players, people will be talking about all the advantages of sticking to the old system of physical SIM.

0_o
What? I’m sitting here wondering it this is for real a question. The SIM allows network access, that’s it. What could happen that the processor would need to be involved to the point it would cause overhead. I am still in awe of this idea at all and had to reply just to see what comes next.

Reactions: AppleHaterLover

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
Yes, it was a "real" question, although apparently one that was posed by an idiot.

:-/

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Yes, it was a "real" question, although apparently one that was posed by an idiot.

:-/
I didn't call any names, I just wonder how it came to be a thought of the processor being taxed due to an internal SIM vs one that can be removed? It does nothing but allow the device on the network. The SIM ID and device IMEI are used to determine the plan, number, and allowances of the device. Think of it as the key. Would an automobile need more power for push button start or a physical key and could someone notice it. Perhaps I don't fully grasp the question but this is what the comparison feels like.

Reactions: TheAppleFairy

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
I think that the answer to my question is that I should have already known that "no" was the answer.

:)

Thanks very much for your help.

I suppose I was paranoid that there was some kind of catch, because it all sounded too good to be true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.