Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rodalpho

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
I just bought an iPhone 14PM, to replace my old 13PM. I have a corporate postpaid US AT&T mobile plan with a physical SIM card on the old phone. I know I can convert the pSIM to an eSIM, and with iOS 16 on both phones I should be able to transfer that eSIM to the new one.

Question is, has anyone actually tried this, does it actually work with a corporate plan? I would love to not have to deal with my company's procurement people if I can avoid it.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
You should really talk to your company first. I’m in the same boat and have no access to the business account but if you migrate the physical sim to esim and something happens or they decide to take back the device, replace it, etc you’re effectively giving them a non-working phone because the physical sim is now deactivated.

rodalpho

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
I don't really anticipate any problems there, worst case scenario I'll have to deal with procurement to talk to AT&T, which I hope to not have to do.

The actual phone is mine, I bought it, they just pay for the plan.

Reactions: Sheepish-Lord

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I was actually wondering about this; when you transfer an eSIM from one phone to another, does it transfer the eSIM itself (so the ICCID and MEID stay the same and there's no reprovisioning on the carrier side)? Or does it just kill the old eSIM and activate a new one?

If it's the former (direct transfer), it will just work no matter what, because the carrier's servers aren't involved. But if it's the latter, it might not work or get delayed if the carrier's provisioning system is overloaded on launch day.

Just wondering; not like I'm buying a new phone this year. Or anything. Heh. Must resist.

Reactions: macsound1

rodalpho

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
I always assumed there must be some interaction with the carrier, at the very least when you convert from a pSIM to an eSIM, but I suppose that could be a direct transfer too. Nobody really knows-- but if anyone has a corporate plan with an eSIM and two iPhones on iOS 16, they could test it. Grasping at straws there, I know.

Such a pain in the butt. I really wish they kept the pSIM slot. But who knows, maybe it'll "just work".

jwire4

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2010
I'm in a similar situation. I converted my pSim into an ESIM earlier this week to hopefully make things easier on launch day. I'm hoping its an easy swap from one phone to another.

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
CA
Just found out my carrier safelink doesn’t have esim I’m really bummed the service doesn’t cost anything I currently have the 12 pro max looks like I’ll be returning the 14 thanks a lot Apple

phill85

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
Just found out my carrier safelink doesn’t have esim I’m really bummed the service doesn’t cost anything I currently have the 12 pro max looks like I’ll be returning the 14 thanks a lot Apple
Or get rid of a carrier that’s in the dark ages?? I had esim I’m on my iphone XS…

Reactions: doxielover

Sammy in SoCal

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
Like another commenter just mentioned ditch the carrier because they’ll have no choice but to come around when all future iPhones are eSim only and won’t risk going out of business

shaown

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
I have to think most carriers will figure this out fast - they don't want to loose iPhone users

rodalpho

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Yeah, I suspect Apple's move will force everybody to support eSIMs really fast.

Now that iOS16 is out, has anyone tried transferring a corporate eSIM yet?

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
..... I would love to not have to deal with my company's procurement people if I can avoid it.
I know what you mean about dealing with the organization's purchasing/contracts people where I work too.

It's a lot of red tape to switch devices.

I also have a corporate phone & plan paid for by my employer but don't want to deal with the purchasing dept.

Switching out SIMs between my aging Xs Max corporate phone to my 12 Pro when I get my 14 Plus.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
Thank you!
How did you know I was transferring my 12 Pro to 14 Plus on TMO ?

Oh, there's very little you can't find out these days with a little digging.

For instance, your real name is Chris Ledbetter of Poughkeepsie, New York. You are 5'10" and right-handed. You own a 2007 Toyota Avalon, with a vanity license plate I'm uncomfortable sharing on a public forum. You recently changed the brand of heart worm medication you give your six-year-old labradoodle Kumquat. You tend to keep up to date on all your Apple hardware: you just got an iPhone 14 pro to go with your M2 Macbook Air, your iPad Pro from 2020 which you are preparing to trade in, and AirPods Pro 2. Except, for some reason, you still wear a Series 3 Apple Watch. You've recently taken up needlework, and your current project (Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water) is 68% done. You've put on four pounds this year, but your cholesterol has dropped, good for you! You might still want to have a doctor look at that thing in your left armpit.

Uncanny, right?

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Oh, there's very little you can't find out these days with a little digging.

For instance, your real name is Chris Ledbetter of Poughkeepsie, New York. You are 5'10" and right-handed. You own a 2007 Toyota Avalon, with a vanity license plate I'm uncomfortable sharing on a public forum. You recently changed the brand of heart worm medication you give your six-year-old labradoodle Kumquat. You tend to keep up to date on all your Apple hardware: you just got an iPhone 14 pro to go with your M2 Macbook Air, your iPad Pro from 2020 which you are preparing to trade in, and AirPods Pro 2. Except, for some reason, you still wear a Series 3 Apple Watch. You've recently taken up needlework, and your current project (Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water) is 68% done. You've put on four pounds this year, but your cholesterol has dropped, good for you! You might still want to have a doctor look at that thing in your left armpit.

Uncanny, right?
Uncanny, and eerie at the same time!

rodalpho

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
I also have a corporate phone & plan paid for by my employer but don't want to deal with the purchasing dept.

Switching out SIMs between my aging Xs Max corporate phone to my 12 Pro when I get my 14 Plus.
Hah, my SIM was originally from a 6S Plus. I've been buying my own phones since then to avoid the hassle, figure the corporate plan is worth a new phone every year anyway.

Reactions: 4sallypat

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Hah, my SIM was originally from a 6S Plus. I've been buying my own phones since then to avoid the hassle, figure the corporate plan is worth a new phone every year anyway.
Yup, same here - I didn't like what my company was offering to get me (not the latest, usually 3 years old).

So my Xs Max will be upgraded to 12 Pro (old personal phone) and my new 14 Plus will be my personal phone.

At least the 12 Pro still uses a physical SIM which can come in handy for international travel.

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
But I have free unlimited everything including 5g but no esim

Yeah, a carrier that provides free subsidized & ultra low cost mobile service isn't going to be rushing to comply with Apple to support a $1000+ cell phone. They have other priorities in order to be able to provide those services to people who can not afford traditional mobile carriers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taco1933

rodalpho

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
So now that the 14s are out, has anyone tried to transfer a corporate eSIM?

x0lliex

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
So now that the 14s are out, has anyone tried to transfer a corporate eSIM?
Yes I have, with T-Mobile. It doesn’t work. They couldn’t fix it on the phone either after spending over an hour on the phone with them. Told me to go to a store to try and fix it. If that doesn’t work, I’ll return the phone, not sure this esim process makes a lot of sense if those without account owner access can’t do anything. With a sim it was a 20 second process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.