Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoctorApple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2017
VPN issue has persisted for years that the connection would drop when network environment changes or when CPU usage is high (when I'm updating apps). Reconnecting takes 3-4 minutes (all local VPNs that filter DNS, no traffic is routed to a remote server, so it's not an internet issue).

Now combine that with eSIM configuration issues where sim cards would just disappear and reappear almost every minute. When eSIM is re-detected, add a 3 minute VPN connection time to that before there's any data connection, only for the eSIMs to disappear again. My iPhone 14 Pro is unusable on cellular.

The worst part is Apple allows certain traffic to bypass VPN, which mind bogglingly includes background app traffic to tracker servers like googleadservices.com while all other connections are closed, the current situation is like only allowing unwanted traffic to go through while everything is not working. This is driving me crazy.

Just a rant.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I never lose connection when I’m using a VPN. Perhaps it’s an issue with your particular VPN?

Totally unrelated it has glitched where I lose both cellular and Wi-Fi connection but this has nothing to do with the VPN and it’s usually off

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.