Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
OK, first a caveat: this is only for the other sickies out there who have gone around the bend with espresso...as I have.

The Problem: Getting the filter basket out of the portafilter. I have a portafilter with a spring around the internal circumference of the place where the filter basket goes in, and the basket has a groove around it's circumference into which the spring seats...making the process of getting the filter basket out a fingernail ripping impossibility.

I've tried using a screwdriver, the edge of another filter basket, a knife blade, dynamite, C4...all still required ripping my fingers to shreds getting the little SOB out.

Solution: Paint Can Opener!!! All the other methods (e.g. screwdriver) lack an essential element for prying something...a fulcrum. The pictured paint can opener below has a curved end, and the curve provides the necessary fulcrum. I use two of the thingys at the same time, positioned opposite one another on the edge of the portafilter, and just bend back and the filter basket is lifted out.

The paint can opener can be obtained at any large hardware or paint store, usually for free, or a dollar or two at worst.

As I'm typing this it dawns on me that you, gentle reader, have figured all this out ages ago. But, what the hell, for the three of you espresso sickos who haven't figured it out...here it is!!!

I live to serve...:D

Attachments

• Paint can opener.png
    Paint can opener.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 281
Reactions: SandboxGeneral

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
But, what the hell, for the two of you espresso sickos who haven't figured it out...here it is!!!

Genius! Now there are only two left I'd guess. This would also fit perfectly into one of these books nobody asked for as well!

That said, I moved my apartment and have to do with an all in one deLonghi machine for now...since I have no HG-One (or else :D myself)....poor twietee :( ;)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Genius! Now there are only two left I'd guess. This would also fit perfectly into one of these books nobody asked for as well!

That said, I moved my apartment and have to do with an all in one deLonghi machine for now...since I have no HG-One (or else :D myself)....poor twietee :( ;)

I used a de Longhi machine for years. When the "experts" rate entry level espresso machines, de Longhi machines always rate No.1 in the inexpensive machine category. It's a great starter machine.

As for the HG-one...it is en route by sea to L.A. as we speak...and due for shipping to us nuts sometime mid January.

I'm only good at answering question nobody has asked, since I know very little about anything useful and real questions usually require some actual, useful knowledge. I will continue to repond only to my own questions...since I know the answer to those.:D

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Ah, just the sort of thread I like. Cool, an intriguing idea, discusses a topic of interest to me, gives possible solutions to problems you weren't even aware of, lovely engaged tone, and nice and easy banter. And started by a fellow coffee lover. What is there not to like?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Ah, just the sort of thread I like. Cool, an intriguing idea, discusses a topic of interest to me, gives possible solutions to problems you weren't even aware of, lovely engaged tone, and nice and easy banter. And started by a fellow coffee lover. What is there not to like?

Thanks for the kind words, friend Scepticalscribe.

No one else seems to be interested, but what the hell, I had fun writing the OP...:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.