Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2021
My 12 Pro Max often gets hot when plugged into CarPlay, and throws the not charging warning. I keep it out of the sun, and it’s not in a fully enclosed compartment (glove box or armrest compartment), but it still overheats. Since I have a 15 Pro Max on the way, and have to replace my Lightning cable arrangement with a USB-C, I’m considering reconfiguring the setup to improve cooling.

The two options I’m thinking about are either an ESR Cryoboost MagSafe charger (with a built in fan), or some other basic MagSafe mount only (no charging, and just relying on the a/c vent for cooling). I’m leaning towards sticking with wired CarPlay rather than using a wireless adapter, which prompts my question. From what I understand, the iPhone will prioritize wired charging if it’s plugged in while on a wireless charger. Furthermore, I’ve read that the ESR’s fan will only run when a phone is attached. So, if the iPhone is charging via cable, will the ESR fan not run? Or will the ESR still be able to recognize that a phone is attached and will run the fan, even if the wireless charging is not actually being utilized by the phone?

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
For those super worried about the phone overheating while charging and Wireless CarPlay-ing; use a vent mount and turn the AC on.

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2021
For journeys longer than 20min, I used wired instead of wireless CarPlay. Phone is cooler and less strain on the battery.
Yeah, I plan on continuing to use wired, but I'm just trying to figure out a way to help my iPhone from getting too hot, and am considering moving it up to a MagSafe mount on an a/c vent, though I'm not thrilled about that.

Reactions: Macalicious2011
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.