Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josieb1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
London
ESR have released a clear back Shell for the iPad mini that is compatible with the Smart Cover. Mine arrived yesterday.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07QC5SGXZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1F5C85DB-A07C-435A-94A0-8BE1B3832D33.jpeg 76F46B36-B758-472D-AE4D-61B21AAA5BCD.jpeg A4434C08-53E6-4692-9A7C-8C43C0708D14.jpeg 4A545707-6B60-44EE-80F0-A7C8C8DAD37F.jpeg

Last edited:

scotsmandc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
It’s availabke in the US UK, but not Canada. Still waiting. How’s the fit and the opening for the Smart Cover.

Jcmwwe

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2013
Last edited:

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
In my experience a hard plastic case will not scratch your device any more than a soft TPU/silicon type case. If properly fitted, the case will wear the iPad finish at the contact points and this will be same with soft or hard case. The primary concern with ANY case is the debris which will get trapped between case and device and will touch/rub/abrade the finish. This will happen regardless of the rigidity of the case, but some say a flexible case will cause MORE rubbing. The key is to clean between case and device frequently.

Hard cases are less preferable primarily for shock resistance and their tendency to pass the impact along to the device. Softer materials absorb forces and only the remaining force is passed along to the device.

I have the ESR smart cover compatible hard shell case and like it. Currently using it. I rarely drop my device though and am only looking for protection from tables, concrete, bricks, dirt, etc. where I might set it down. It has a nice matte finish on the back which hides fingerprints.

I also have the Otterbox Symmetry case for the Mini ($60). It has soft silicon or TPU type borders with a more rigid back, but not as hard as the molded hard plastic of the ESR. But the Otterbox is thicker, and I don't care for the placement of the pencil elastic holder.

I want my iPad to be in the Otterbox when I drop it, but in the ESR along with smart cover when I use it....... :cool:

scotsmandc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
Yes, I am using Product Red, which was for the iPad mini 4.
[doublepost=1557171602][/doublepost]

No, not that I can tell. I’m very happy with the case.

Hi OP, are you able to take a picture of the the smart cover magnet side attached to your Mini where the magnet meets the esr case. I want to compare the mini 4 cover vs the 5 when I pick up the cover. I caved and bought the case from Amazon US. Couldn't wait any longer for it to become available on Amazon Canada. I might consider buying the 4 cover instead as it's cheaper if its comparable to the 5 cover.

I can't wait to be able to take off the smart cover whenever I'm holding the mini. As much as I like the yippee case, I don't like holding the tablet with the cover wrapped around the back of the case.

geekiemac

macrumors 65816
Feb 13, 2016
This looks fantastic ! It's exactly what I'm looking for. I wish I could order, though. Amazon is at war with the Swiss customs so it refuses to deliver anything other than books and DVDs to our little country. I'll see whether I can find it on eBay, though.

[edit] found it on eBay and ordered. Thanks OP ! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Josieb1

chillip

macrumors 68030
Mar 16, 2013
I didn’t end up ordering as it’s hard plastic and WILL scratch the metal.

Josieb1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
London
Hi OP, are you able to take a picture of the the smart cover magnet side attached to your Mini where the magnet meets the esr case. I want to compare the mini 4 cover vs the 5 when I pick up the cover. I caved and bought the case from Amazon US. Couldn't wait any longer for it to become available on Amazon Canada. I might consider buying the 4 cover instead as it's cheaper if its comparable to the 5 cover.

I can't wait to be able to take off the smart cover whenever I'm holding the mini. As much as I like the yippee case, I don't like holding the tablet with the cover wrapped around the back of the case.

Is this what you want?

4CBD399B-F7C5-4CCA-A3B4-B48F64EBBCD1.jpeg
[doublepost=1557775276][/doublepost]
I didn’t end up ordering as it’s hard plastic and WILL scratch the metal.

It hasn’t scratched my iPad.

Reactions: scotsmandc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.