Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012

Many of our readers have been waiting for OSOM, the company reformed from the ashes of an Andy Rubin-less Essential, to deliver the OV1 smartphone it's been teasing since 2020. But some key details have changed. The OV1 is now the Solana Saga, a blockchain-integrated Android flagship.

Reactions: magicman32

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
I liked the Essential 1 phone, and was intrigued and interested in this new 2nd phone, but now my interest plummeted to zero, with this change of the phone now being a Crypto blockchain Android phone. And a new strange name of the phone being called the 'Solana Saga' Uh, ok...

Reactions: magicman32

magicman32

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
I liked the Essential 1 phone, and was intrigued and interested in this new 2nd phone, but now my interest plummeted to zero, with this change of the phone now being a Crypto blockchain Android phone. And a new strange name of the phone being called the 'Solana Saga' Uh, ok...
Funny you mention it but I actually still have my Essential phone in my bedside drawer. It’s actually the only back-up phone I have left (stopped collecting things a while ago). So anytime I’m in the middle of a phone transition, this is the phone that comes out to be used. Still get a full workday out of the battery too.

The phone got a lot of crap during its day but I enjoyed it and still performs well as my only emergency back-up.

Sidenote: And yes, the OV1 is now dead to me and complete and utter trash that I will never even give a second look to now. What a joke it’s become when I was definitely keeping my eye on it.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Funny you mention it but I actually still have my Essential phone in my bedside drawer. It’s actually the only back-up phone I have left (stopped collecting things a while ago). So anytime I’m in the middle of a phone transition, this is the phone that comes out to be used. Still get a full workday out of the battery too.

The phone got a lot of crap during its day but I enjoyed it and still performs well as my only emergency back-up.

Sidenote: And yes, the OV1 is now dead to me and complete and utter trash that I will never even give a second look to now. What a joke it’s become when I was definitely keeping my eye on it.

Great reply, thanks, totally agree.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.