Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
SATA SSDs are significantly slower than the built-in storage and NVMe SSDs- in the order of maybe 5-600 MB/s where you'd be getting 4-5x that with built in storage and NVMe. I have not used an OWC SATA SSD in many years but they also did not used to be top performers either among SATA storage.

guitarman777

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
Orlando, FL
SATA SSDs are significantly slower than the built-in storage and NVMe SSDs- in the order of maybe 5-600 MB/s where you'd be getting 4-5x that with built in storage and NVMe. I have not used an OWC SATA SSD in many years but they also did not used to be top performers either among SATA storage.
Then maybe not SATA? I'm not in front of that machine right now and I simply can't remember. I used a couple disk read/write speed checkers and was getting between 1800-2600 MB/s.

EDIT: Yeah, I goofed. I think my brain was so used to SATA being the platinum option for connection. Both OWC SSDs (2TB for boot and 4TB for data) are installed in PCI slots in the machine.

guitarman777

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
Orlando, FL
Update: my personal Mac Studio is set to arrive tomorrow. I’ll be taking steps to get it set up to run head-to-head against the Mac Pro. I have a feeling it won’t be much of a contest, but I’ll be able to see the differences in workflow and efficiency quite easily.

I also spoke with one of our IT guys again to give him an update. He noted something else interesting he and the IT lead found: the available audio settings in Logic (sample rate, buffer size, multi threading, etc.) on the original 256GB boot drive and the 2TB boot drive we installed weren’t the same. The 2TB drive install apparently had more options available than the 256GB, and neither drive was set up yet to use my audio interface.

Reactions: AdamBuker

guitarman777

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
Orlando, FL
Okayyyyy. Holy cow. Just general interactions with this Mac Studio are RIDICULOUS. What a performance jump just in general. Everything from booting up / restarts to installing software & plugins takes a literal fraction of the time the Intel Mac Pro does. I haven't even gotten to any actual stress tests yet with any audio software; those will happen tomorrow. I'm taking this thing to work to put it head to head against the Mac Pro. I have a sneaking suspicion it's gonna be a bloodbath. I'm excited about this.

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
Okayyyyy. Holy cow. Just general interactions with this Mac Studio are RIDICULOUS. What a performance jump just in general. Everything from booting up / restarts to installing software & plugins takes a literal fraction of the time the Intel Mac Pro does. I haven't even gotten to any actual stress tests yet with any audio software; those will happen tomorrow. I'm taking this thing to work to put it head to head against the Mac Pro. I have a sneaking suspicion it's gonna be a bloodbath. I'm excited about this.

No doubt it will, but considering your Mac Pro is 'off' I'm not sure it's an on level footing comparison. That said, it certainly a valid one from your vantage.

Reactions: guitarman777

guitarman777

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
Orlando, FL
No doubt it will, but considering your Mac Pro is 'off' I'm not sure it's an on level footing comparison. That said, it certainly a valid one from your vantage.
Very true. The Pro certainly doesn't seem like it's playing with a full deck. I've got the machines side by side now, and there's a significant difference. Gotta get the rest of these plugins installed and get files shared as well so I can stress test with the main project I've been working on.

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.