Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barberogaston

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
Córdoba, Argentina
I have Windows 7 Ultimate installed on my iMac. Ethernet connection worked just fine, but from one day to another it just stopped working. I thought it would be a drivers problem or something related to Windows. However, when I switched back to OS X, I noticed the ethernet connection wasn't working either. I have tested the cable on other computers to make sure it wasn't damaged and it worked perfectly fine. If anyone would help I would appreciate it a lot. Cheers.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
You also have to test another ethernet cord on the Mac just to eliminate any weird new issue with the combination of the two.

Are you saying that in System Preferences>Network under Ethernet it reads Not Connected and the "light" is red?

barberogaston

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
Córdoba, Argentina
You also have to test another ethernet cord on the Mac just to eliminate any weird new issue with the combination of the two.

Are you saying that in System Preferences>Network under Ethernet it reads Not Connected and the "light" is red?

Exactly. Ethernet says not connected and the light is red. I have run the Apple Hardware test now to make sure it wasn't anything hardware related. Haven't tried with another cord though, I will try and tell you what happens.
[doublepost=1456510776][/doublepost]

Nothing. Just tried with 2 different cords but still showing the Not Connected and red light. Also, the hardware test threw no errors (ran twice). Seems I'll have to take it to some tech support.

magdale

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2016
Italy
I have the same problem with my iMac 27" mid 2011...hmmmm....what happened? I do not know why but I doubt that it is a software issue and not hardware...

magdale

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2016
Italy
I just do a new installation El Capt on external hd by usb and the ethernet cable works well

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
Time machine??
So much work thats stupid
Read the whole thread. Some have corrected it by uninstalling the offending update then reinstalling the amended one. Others have corrected by reinstalling the OS in recovery mode.

You can always wait to see if Apple releases a fix. In the meantime, WiFi works.

andrew5494

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2015
Toronto / The 6
Read the whole thread. Some have corrected it by uninstalling the offending update then reinstalling the amended one. Others have corrected by reinstalling the OS in recovery mode.

You can always wait to see if Apple releases a fix. In the meantime, WiFi works.
Ya, who uses ethernet anyways lol

wifi has always been faster for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.