Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jpell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
Connecticut
So I had an older Mac Mini lying around (I mean old, MacMini1,1 with an Intel Core Duo 1.66Ghz) and decided that it would be a great machine for a mini server, to house a bunch of movies to stream over my local network to my Apple TVs. Only problem is, I cannot get the Mini to connect to the Internet and I have no idea why. Using ethernet, the message it gives me is what this post is titled; "Ethernet is currently active and has the IP Address (null)" and indicates no IPV4 address/router/DNS, and a lengthy string for an IPV6 address. When I try to connect up via airport, it says that the airport is connected and has the IP Address (insert lengthy IPV6 string), and there is nothing under IPV4. I tried turning off IPV6 and even set a static IP for the IPV4...to no avail. I went as far as wiping the whole machine and trying from scratch but that did not help either. Any ideas/suggestions? *note* The machine is running 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard), because that's the best it can do. *other note* from what I remember, this computer used to connect to the Internet just fine.

Thanks guys (and gals).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.