Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheValleyOfDefilement

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2021
Having issue with ethernet on Monterey.
On regular boot, system report states "This computer does not appear to have any Ethernet devices."
However in safe mode, both ethernet ports show up correctly and are usable as expected.
I didn't install anything disruptive prior, and have removed all extensions and isolated kexts that weren't relevant.
Issue still persists.
I have just recently completed a good amount of software installation, but will purge the whole thing if there isn't any other better suggestions.

-Diagnostic mode shows no problems
-Creating an additional user in the OS creates no difference.

Any ideas? TIA.

TheValleyOfDefilement

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2021
Notes while I work through this for easy tracking:
Both devices fine in safe mode.
Broadcom 57762-A0
Registered on PCI bus. Named en0 and en1 appropriately.
Driver: com.apple.iokit.AppleBCM5701Ethernet

Last edited:

TheValleyOfDefilement

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2021
An additional installation has been performed of Catalina. This time, both network ports are identified properly at all times.
Now to make sense of this and figure out how to resolve it.

paalb

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2019
If you look in System Preferences>Network do you see Ethernet there? To reset network prefs try to change Service Order in the menu below.

paalb

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2019
Many years since I have needed to do this, so might break something, but since you are desperate. Try deleting the plists with Network in their name in folder /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ from safe mode and then immediately reboot. If that does not help delete the folder /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration.

TheValleyOfDefilement

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2021
Many years since I have needed to do this, so might break something, but since you are desperate. Try deleting the plists with Network in their name in folder /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ from safe mode and then immediately reboot. If that does not help delete the folder /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration.
No dice. Thanks though!

Reactions: paalb

TheValleyOfDefilement

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2021
Now we are getting somewhere. Not fast, but still getting somewhere.

I got a Thunderbolt network adapter (model A1433) and did some testing.
It too works in Safemode, but only safe mode. Just like ethernet ports 1 and 2.

However, unplugging and plugging it back in during normal operation generates an interesting set of errors which I'm still trying to make sense of. There's a perfectly logical explanation in here somewhere, and this is probably what's happening behind the scenes with the onboard ethernet adapters, just in a place I can't see it happening.

[ 64.130706]: AppleBCM5701Ethernet [10000092f, ethernet]: 60000 1000 MyAllocIOBuffer - failed to get physical address
[ 64.130714]: 0x00060000, 0x00001000 MyAllocIOBuffer - failed to get physical address
[ 64.130758]: AppleBCM5701Ethernet [10000092f, ethernet]: 0 0 allocateMemory - fRxStdDmaVirt,fRxStdDmaPhy failed
[ 64.130763]: 0x00000000, 0x00000000 allocateMemory - fRxStdDmaVirt,fRxStdDmaPhy failed
[ 64.130764]: AppleBCM5701Ethernet [10000092f, ethernet]: 0 0 start - allocateMemory failed
[ 64.130768]: 0x00000000, 0x00000000 start - allocateMemory failed

TheValleyOfDefilement

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2021
Update:
There is definitely a problem within Big Sur and Monterey involving these devices and adapters.
I've forcefully added a specific Kext to /System/Libraries/Extensions as a test.
It resolved the issue.
Unfortunately, it's a very hacky work around and I may have broken other things in the process of trying to figure it out.

Bottom line, this is a real problem within Big Sur and Montery. I will be hooking in with Apple support to see if they have anything that can resolve this without said hacky work around. It's certainly not resolved in the current available public releases.

Last edited:

TheValleyOfDefilement

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2021
Here's the screen shot confirming adapters are now present in normal mode, not safe mode. I've tested all 3. They are fine now.
Hoping this doesn't get ignored by Apple.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 2.07.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 2.07.37 AM.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 66

rajs

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2004
Thanks for documenting the issues. Any update you have at this juncture ~ 2 months later. Or you still on the kext patch route ? thx

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
You did not mention what type of Mac this is?
Laptop? Year?
If it is a laptop thats just a few years old where you are using a dongle plugged into your USB C port MAYBE your DONGLE is not compatible with Big Sur or Monterey ??
Maybe spend $30 to $50 for a new Dongle that is compatible and working ethernet jack on Amazon or some other Store?

rajs

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2004
2021 MacBook Pro 14 w/ Monterey 12.1

@Freeangel1 can you point to an explicit gigabit Ethernet dongle on Amazon or another store that is compatible ? (You didn’t mention one). One that actually continues to work after a sleep / wake cycle without any intervention. Thx

TheValleyOfDefilement

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2021
You did not mention what type of Mac this is?
Laptop? Year?
If it is a laptop thats just a few years old where you are using a dongle plugged into your USB C port MAYBE your DONGLE is not compatible with Big Sur or Monterey ??
Maybe spend $30 to $50 for a new Dongle that is compatible and working ethernet jack on Amazon or some other Store?
Tagged as 6,1. I have the USB way full up. After patching the system heavily though, the thunderbolt adapter is still working fine in normal mode. As far as I know, the one I referenced a few posts back is still considered supported.

TheValleyOfDefilement

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2021
Thanks for documenting the issues. Any update you have at this juncture ~ 2 months later. Or you still on the kext patch route ? thx
It still works patched, nothing else became broken. I imaged the drive for sanity reasons. There's been no solid resolve with other routes to the moment.

Reactions: rajs

JoeOIVOV

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2020
Update:
There is definitely a problem within Big Sur and Monterey involving these devices and adapters.
I've forcefully added a specific Kext to /System/Libraries/Extensions as a test.
It resolved the issue.
Unfortunately, it's a very hacky work around and I may have broken other things in the process of trying to figure it out.

Bottom line, this is a real problem within Big Sur and Montery. I will be hooking in with Apple support to see if they have anything that can resolve this without said hacky work around. It's certainly not resolved in the current available public releases.

Do you have any info about this process?

I'm having the exact same issue, an I'm thinking this process will give me similar results.

What kext did you add to /System/Libraries/Extensions? An how? When I try to add/modify kext's in this location, it says they are read only, or in use.

Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.