Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

briantology

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
When I have my ethernet cable plugged into port 1 on my Mac Pro, I am unable to connect to the internet. It knows it has a cable in there and it is trying to access the internet, but when I run diagnostics, it won't connect. So I try port 2 and now it works just fine. I tried port 1 again and it wouldn't work. So does anyone know why it would do this?

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
I may have had a similar situation with one of mine. My en1 (port 2) was working, but en0 (port 1), was not. I suspected I had configured the MP with the patch cord in the 2nd port. So, that was the stack which activated. I thought about destroying the entire configuration and manually redoing it. However, I created a 2nd network for my video only. I used en0 for that and there were no issues. So, I cannot say for sure whether it was just a set-up issue, or not. There were no issues with the first ethernet card, and that was what I was concerned about. Not sure if that helps you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.