Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

di1in

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
I'm running 12.4 with everything updated and non-beta.

The Ethernet connection works and I'm able to connect to the Internet using it. However, it does not get listed in the network preferences pane as shown in the screenshot below.

The problem with this is that I am unable to change my priority setting for Ethernet when compared to Wi-Fi.

Can someone help me out with fixing this? Apple Support suggested safe mode, which didn't work. Their very next suggestion is to reinstall the OS which seems like a nuclear option. I was hoping someone here might have another suggestion.

Screenshot 2022-07-01 at 6.27.03 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-07-01 at 6.29.32 PM.png

Cognizant.

Suspended
May 15, 2022
I'm running 12.4 with everything updated and non-beta.

The Ethernet connection works and I'm able to connect to the Internet using it. However, it does not get listed in the network preferences pane as shown in the screenshot below.

The problem with this is that I am unable to change my priority setting for Ethernet when compared to Wi-Fi.

Can someone help me out with fixing this? Apple Support suggested safe mode, which didn't work. Their very next suggestion is to reinstall the OS which seems like a nuclear option. I was hoping someone here might have another suggestion.

View attachment 2025177

View attachment 2025178
Reinstalling the OS isn’t nuclear. It does’t affect anything on the computer. Your files, settings, apps, and mostly everything else remain largely the same. Like all things, it’s still good to make a backup prior to doing this, just in case.

Last edited:
Reactions: di1in

di1in

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Which Mac model is it? If applicable: which ethernet adapter?
It’s an MBP 14” with a CableCreation USB C Hub with 7-in-1 Multiport Adapter (Type C Dongle to HDMI 4K@60Hz, 2 USB 3.0 Ports, 100W PD, Gigabit Ethernet, SD/TF Card Reader) via a Cat-8 cable.

It used to show up in network preferences for many months until a few weeks back. Currently, even though it doesn’t show up, Internet through Ethernet still works.

Have you tried adding the Ethernet interface to Network preferences (the "+" at the bottom of the lefthand column)?

I tried but the Thunderbolt Ethernet interface is not listed there. It just has thunderbolt bridge, thunderbolt 3/2/1 and WiFi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.