Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
When reading about Apple's plans to "split the App Store in two" to comply with the EU's demands to allow app sideloading, I only see iOS and iPadOS mentioned.
Is there any information if this extends to tvOS as well?

While I hope the main App Store with all of its requirements for apps will be retained to ensure a secure iPhone and iPad experience, I would indeed like the possibillity to install Kodi (a mediacenter app, former XBMC) on my Apple TV 4K.
Especially various Add-ons offer a significant benefit over solutions like Plex or Infuse.

The current solution requires manually signing the ipa with an Apple Developer ID. Free account users have to repeat this step every 7 days. I never went this route.

Any hints I can get my hopes up?

Edit: Ok, not going to happen - it's iOS only.

Last edited:

Bobi1

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2024
Hello, will there be an apple tv 4k google store for Europe? How will there be a Google store with the IOS 17.4 update for smartphones?

Bobi1

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2024
Apple has announced that it will allow the installation of third-party apps that bypass the App Store. The company will allow third-party app stores to be installed on iOS to comply with Europe's Digital Markets Act (DMA). This definitely breaks the monopoly of the App Store. The changes will come with the release of iOS 17.4 in March. However, they will only affect users from the European Union - in other regions, everything will remain as before.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I understand that Apple will be opening some of their devices to other App stores but that doesn't mean there will be a Google Play store app, does it?

Installation of apps from outside the App Store could take place via direct downloads from a website.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I can't see a business case for a Google Play store on the Apple ecosystem. Developers who don't want to pay Apple's App Store fees won't want to pay Google the same fees to host and distribute their apps.

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

Bobi1

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2024
Anyway, my question is whether there will be the same ability to install external apps on the Apple TV 4K

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
The EU ruling doesn't apply to tvOS and even if it did, Android TV apps wouldn't work on tvOS anyways.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
And even on iPhone, this doesn't mean you'll be able to magically run Android apps there either.

Bobi1

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2024

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
The alternate app stores will still have to be compatible with the iOS system on the iPhone. Personally I think the whole idea is stupid. It only benefits the developers and only as long as they don't put out subpar apps that also have more potential to have malware in them. Even if they offer this in the U.S. in the future I will never use an alternate app store. I doubt Google has any desire to put out an app store for tvOS or iOS for that matter. Google can keep their crap on the Android devices, there really is no need for them to be on iOS or tvOS at all.

Bobi1

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2024
Just get a chrome cast with Google TV if you want the play store? They’re like 50 bucks.
I currently have an Amazon Cube, I also had an Nvidia Shield. But I wish that the Apple TV 4K also has the possibility to install applications from other places, as it will be on IOS 17.4.

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
I currently have an Amazon Cube, I also had an Nvidia Shield. But I wish that the Apple TV 4K also has the possibility to install applications from other places, as it will be on IOS 17.4.
You’ll be waiting a long time I’m afraid, there is no foreseeable plans for this to happen.

Bobi1

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2024
You’ll be waiting a long time I’m afraid, there is no foreseeable plans for this to happen.
I hope Europe agrees on Apple TV 4K like it did on the IPhone. Because at the moment, almost no one buys Apple TV 4K in our country, due to the lack of applications.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I hope Europe agrees on Apple TV 4K like it did on the IPhone. Because at the moment, almost no one buys Apple TV 4K in our country, due to the lack of applications.
You still can’t just run apps for Android on an Apple TV. Developers would need to write new apps for Apple TV, and that’s just not likely to happen regardless of whether or not there’s an alternative App Store for Apple TV.
Apple TV is such a minor player in the business, compared to smart TVs and alternative streaming devices, that it’ll never get regulated like iPhone. If Apple TV doesn’t suit your need buy something else.

Bobi1

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2024
What apps are you missing, if I may ask?
PS if you are really into apps, why not consider rPi instead?
A1 Xplore TV Bulgaria and KODI. I know KODI can be installed but it needs dev. an account that costs 99$ per year and is not worth it at all. Otherwise, I currently have an Amazon Cube and it all works fine.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
A1 Xplore TV Bulgaria and KODI. I know KODI can be installed but it needs dev. an account that costs 99$ per year and is not worth it at all. Otherwise, I currently have an Amazon Cube and it all works fine.
Hopefully, your Amazon device will not be affected but the FireOS update.

Last edited:

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Nothing is preventing these being on the Apple TV apart from developer choice so even with side loading there wouldn’t be the first app unless the developers decided to include this. Opening side loading would allow Kodi but there is no real demand for it, I don’t think.

Unlikely the EU will do anything because nobody really buys Apple TVs.

Bobi1

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2024
OK, I see.
I tried KODI on my TV’s AndroidTV. Apart from the plugins I think I get the same result from Infuse.
KODI is not just a player, KODI is a multimedia center. There are many opportunities in one place that cannot be found anywhere else.

thewarm

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2022
The main reason I was using Kodi (on my Android TV) along with my ATV4K was to zoom 4x3 and 22x9 videos. I hate the tap to click on the Siri remote (it's way too sensitive!).
But I found "Triple Tap" to zoom under accessibility. Set zoom to minimum. It even works with my Sony TV remote.
Black Bars Be Gone ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.