Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JetLaw

Cancelled
Jan 21, 2009
I hate seeing governments getting involved with things like that but I also hate the Lightning connector. I guess I’ll be happy either way on this one.

• Disagree
Reactions: diandi and subi257

steevn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2016
I wish they would include ALL devices to use the same type or USB C.

There’s still a ton of Bluetooth speakers, baby, toys, travel devices, etc that use micro USB, so either way I’ll be using micro USB and Lightning or micro USB and USB C.

I get that not every device needs USB C, but I think we can all agree that it would be nice if there was one standard for ALL things USB!

Reactions: blob.DK

dynamojoe

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2011
Miami, FL
I'd love a USB-C iPhone. I'm not thrilled about Apple being forced into it but whatever. Legislating requirements can be good or bad and I think getting rid of a connector because it's only 20% of the market is a poor reason.

Make apple ship an adapter like last time.

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
Better late than never. Shame that Apple didn't work together with the industry from the very beginning on a unified standard. Imagine how much nicer the situation would be today, ALL cables compatible, reversible, both ends the same.
They did. Were you aware Apple was one of the main inventors of USB-C? While it was a large industry-wide effort, Apple contributed greatly to the creation of the standard. Others were too slow to adopt it and Apple wasn't willing to wait years to replace the 30-pin dock connector.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
I'd like iPhone to be on USB-C over all, it would simplify everything.

This is a probably a good lesson for Apple Management, if you make something that gives friction (cables that don't match, 30% cut on store sales that should probably be alot lower etc.) in people's daily processes, it can become annoying enough that politician's can start doing things like this... Better for management to anticipate and resolve things like this on their own timeline, rather than politicians.

Reactions: kerr and 5105973

steevn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2016
I hate seeing governments getting involved with things like that but I also hate the Lightning connector. I guess I’ll be happy either way on this one.
I think if everyone stepped away from all the politicizing everything in America(and everywhere) right now even those who truly want small government would want government to regulate these type of things.

Think of wall outlets as just one simple but ultra relatable example; wouldn’t you find it annoying if you went next door and it used completely different outlets?

It’s also really annoying that my iPad and MacBook use USB C but not iPhone, and I want that to change.

Even if wanting limited government, these are the things that make sense for government creating/enforcing standards that benefit everyone as a whole.

insoft.uk

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2018
EU need to keep out of this industry as they have no idea.

Things are changing and the Industry have been working hard to move to Type-C especially Apple and they don’t need EU interference.

Apple is dropping Lightning port eventually anyways and not be adopting Type-C as everything is moving towards wireless so this will just be another egg on face moment for the EU yet again completely out of their depth

EU needs to thank Apple for lightning as at the time Type-C wasn’t ready and Micro USB was inadequate why Apple developed Lightning and Apple played a big part in Type-C development and only now ready tho wireless is a better way forward and the EU fails to get it again

Last edited:

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
What is wrong with the lightening connector?

It is solid and reliable in my experience. Also it is all over the place because iPhone is so popular.

See, my argument was going to be why has Apple stayed with the lighting connector all this time?

Is it technically superior to USB-C? I honestly don't know. I just don't have the facts.

A few people upthread have made the argument that these regulations would stifle innovation, and I get that. To mandate a specific type of connector in law would be rearward thinking at best.

But it's my impression that Apple stays with lighting so they can milk as much as possible from a proprietary interface, as opposed to being responsive to the marketplace.

I'm looking for someone to convince me that lighting is somehow superior to USB-C to justify why Apple has stayed with lightning on technical grounds. Is there an argument to be made there?

As an end user, I would prefer all USB-C. I'm also not a big fan of the portless phone. I like being able to back up and restore my phone from a cable connector, and I can't see how a portless solution would be superior to that, with the exception of the elimination of the port.

Reactions: iterva and 5105973

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
Except that USB-C is better than Lighting in every possible way. It's embarrassing Apple is still shipping iPhones with a USB 2.0-speed port.
Except it's not. It's a physically inferior connector. I can't tell you how many times I've needed to replace motherboards and daughterboards because the connector can no longer hold the cable. It's cost me thousands of dollars because USB-C sucks as a physical connector. I've never once replaced a Lightning connector. USB-C is superior only in net throughput, though there's nothing in the Lightning hardware that would not allow Apple to increase its speed beyond its USB 2.0 speeds.

Alwis

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2017
Except that USB-C is better than Lighting in every possible way.

What I really dislike about USB-C is, that the fragile middle part (I am nut sure how it is called in Englisch) of the connector is on the computer side and not on the plug, where it could be replaced by just replacing the cable.

And I agree with the Argument, that wie would be stuck with the worst connectors of all, micro USB, if this would have been passed 10 years ago.

On the other side I would not mind an iPhone with no connector at all. I use it only once for every new iPhone, that is to authorize syncing via WLAN.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I agree with the EU on this. It is not just mobile phones but camera's and camcorders and other video devices, handheld games consoles, watches, handheld media players, the list goes on, and they have one thing in common, their own AC adapter. There is no need for this, the electronic manufacturing industry should have come up with a common standard themselves but they refused to because it meant money to them, removing an AC adapter means the overall cost of the device has to be reduced and manufactureres of electronic devices were not about to do this so in steps the EU to force them to come up with a standard. Consumers do not need a plethora of AC adapters for every device they purchase, they just need one AC adapter that will support ALL the devices. All the manufacturer of the device has to do is provide a charging cable.

It is extremely rare for a manufacturer to 'volunteer' to make changes because they know in doing so it could affect their bottom line (profit) thus as in the case here, they get forced to make changes.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
EU need to keep out of this industry as they have no idea.

Things are changing and the Industry have been working hard to move to Type-C especially Apple and they don’t need EU interference.

Apple is dropping Lightning port eventually anyways and not be adopting Type-C as everything is moving towards wireless so this will just be another egg on face moment for the EU yet again completely out of their depth

When Apple moved the iPad Pro to USB-C I called it progress, and progress will be when they do the same on the iPhone.

Everybody can scream and shout because they have beef with the EU, but moving iPhones to USB-C would be a good thing. Period.

As for moving entirely to wireless any day soon without compromising usage, speed of communication and of charging… I fear it is NOT the EU being out of their depth on this front.

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
I don't know why so many people are against this.

I am deep in the Apple ecosystem and Lightning is a nightmare. I don't want to carry different cables for my iPhone and iPad.
Apple is against this because most of their devices use Lightning. I'm talking sheer numbers. Apple has sold over 1.5 billion iPhones alone along with hundreds of millions of Lightning accessories like AirPods, iPads, mice, keyboards, etc. Meanwhile, they've sold perhaps a tenth of that in USB-C devices. Most people who own Apple devices only own Lightning devices and accessories. A lot more people have iPhones that don't own MacBooks or iPad Pros. The sheer number of pissed off people who don't have USB-C Apple items would surprise you if Apple forced them to discard their existing accessories.

Personally, no matter what port Apple uses, I'd still have to carry multiple cables so it doesn't matter if it's Lightning or USB-C. I still carry micro-USB cables because so many things still use it. I also would have to toss a few Lightning accessories I would no longer be able to use. Like you, I also have every Apple product under the sun. Most of them use Lightning.

Reactions: cmichaelb

jefhai

Suspended
Feb 11, 2021
Here’s my two cents…

We need to start thinking about what this means for the environment. Going forward no company should have proprietary connectors for mass consumer products. We should be using standardized cables.. and when a new one is proposed we should be planning with the environment in mind.

Second we should be pushing other industries and countries to all use the same standard stuff. Countries should convert to the same measurements, same electrical systems and same side of driving a car.

Think of all the waste used in multiple standards when really just one is super efficient and optimal

Reactions: Termy and kerr

Psychicbob

Cancelled
Oct 2, 2018
Tim Cook: Ok, we’re going wireless only iPhones. *Slowly extends middle finger to EU*

Apple should have gone usb-c on their phones ages ago but this is just posturing on the EUs part.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Great, then I have to buy all the Cables I collected since 2012 all over again. 🙄

Haha... true. Won't someone think of the environment?!?!?

But this was worse a long time ago. Early flip-phones had different proprietary connectors depending on the brand. Motorola chargers didn't work with LG phones, or Samsung phones, etc.

Even as newer smartphones settled on USB... the port still kept changing: Mini-USB, Micro-USB, and now USB-C

Apple had had much better consistency. iPhones have only ever had two types of ports... 30-Pin Connector and Lightning.

Even though I have quite a collection of Lightning cables... I wouldn't be upset if a future iPhone switched to USB-C.

But I still have video equipment and gadgets that use MicroUSB... so I'm stuck in that hell of needing multiple cables anyway.

:p

Reactions: Berti10 and 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.