Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HQuest

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
9BAD0658-06DC-4683-8929-1170BC7B099A.png
The new iPhone home screen with all default apps, after planned EU modifications to Apple’s devices are enforced.

Attachments

• BDFA33B5-4A97-4EB1-A134-D253B30EC5AF.png
    BDFA33B5-4A97-4EB1-A134-D253B30EC5AF.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 102

coredev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2012
Bavaria
Knowing Apple, they’ll be region locked. Look at the Apple Watch’s ecg stuff.
Afaik, this is all in software. Depending on the region you set up the watch in, the functionality may differ.
So unless you pretend to be in the EU (which you perhaps could do with VPN and a US bought device as well), the EU model will not help you.

Futurix

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2011
Strasbourg, France
In principle, I support governance that restricts the power of big business. But who is going to restrict the power of the EU? This just sounds way too heavy handed to me. Frightening actually.

But can I still say yes please to ‘iMessage interoperability’? ? Would be nice to see the big players work together on this.
EU is actually democratic - so both voters and national governments ultimately control it.

Seeing as how no one actually IN the European Union makes smartphones, Apple ought to tell the EU to get bent.
Oh yes, they will totally quit one of their biggest markets.

No, but it could have a two-speed system in which the EU doesn't get all the services and features that US, UK and RoW get.
Which is the same as quitting - because no one in their right mind will buy such a crippled iDevice.

Okasian

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2017
Some of it I get, but I can't wrap my head around the problem with a device having default apps. Just have a page upon the first opening of the App Store saying "you have the defaults but here are some others".
Default apps are fine but default apps that cannot be uninstalled aren’t.

If the problem is Safari getting an unfair advantage over Chrome then how to you get Chrome without a default App Store app?
Do you present a list of options upon the initial setup of Safari/Chrome/Firefox etc? But then that's an unfair advantage to those browsers when there are other ones out there.

Some thoughts on that..

Presenting a list of options worked before. It would be nicer to have more options granted.

Even better solution: You could just download an .ipa binary from official TLS-enabled websites of each browser vendor.

“But people are too tech-illiterate to figure that out.”
  • Well, they have the default App Store option for simple baby mode,
  • and if they are that tech-illiterate, they statistically wouldn’t care about the nuances of browser engines in the first place.

MacFan23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
EU is actually democratic - so both voters and national governments ultimately control it.

Oh yes, they will totally quit one of their biggest markets.

Which is the same as quitting - because no one in their right mind will buy such a crippled iDevice.
It appears their options are to stop/limit business in the EU or make their own offering worse, lose competitive advantages and lose business regardless.

Futurix

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2011
Strasbourg, France
I used to be against all of this, but ultimately changed my mind after countless examples of Apple’s censorship and frequent technical issues. Apple’s chokehold on NFC in iPhones is also a major disadvantage for their users.

Yes, it might lead to some malware - but it won’t be Apple’s responsibility anymore. If anything, they can use it as an extra advantage in their marketing - “Apple iCloud+ with extra safe App Store”.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
While there are many good ideas, like being able to cancel a subscription easier (I once subscribed to the NYT and had to call them from Germany to cancel the subscription - never again!), I’m really interested how on earth the message interoperability should work. I use Signal and iMessage. How can Signal still be secure and end to end encrypted if it has to be able to work with WhatsApp?

It won't be. If a service is built on end to end and sees that as their differentiator they aren't letting someone else in their sandbox. Which is good, because once a 3rd party has access to their keys then there is no more assurance of security.

Yes, it might lead to some malware - but it won’t be Apple’s responsibility anymore. If anything, they can use it as an extra advantage in their marketing - “Apple iCloud+ with extra safe App Store”.

I suspect Apple will get blamed and lawmakers demanding action when that happens.

In principle, I support governance that restricts the power of big business. But who is going to restrict the power of the EU? This just sounds way too heavy handed to me. Frightening actually.

I suspect this will have a lot of unintended consequences and collateral damage, which of course will be blamed on Apple.

One funny thought - will Epic have to allow side loading, open up their store to third parties and other payment systems? Valve?

But can I still say yes please to ‘iMessage interoperability’? ? Would be nice to see the big players work together on this.

You're likely to get the lowest common denominator feature set so while a plain SMS could be sent to a different app you're back to 1990's messaging.

Last edited:

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Some of it seems reasonable, other parts seem like they have been drafted by a guy in a suit without any technological background like how would the whole interchangeable messenger thing even work. Messaging apps are different for a reason. They simply have a different feature set and what about end to end encryption. Is WhatsApp supposed to pay for the hosting that is needed to store attachements sent by iMessage users? It’s technically not even their user. How would I even agree of the TnC of app B if I am actually using app A and only send a text to someone on app B. Is the EU going to provide an API? (I doubt it. Also wouldn’t want it) So many questions

cr2

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
While there are many good ideas, like being able to cancel a subscription easier (I once subscribed to the NYT and had to call them from Germany to cancel the subscription - never again!), I’m really interested how on earth the message interoperability should work. I use Signal and iMessage. How can Signal still be secure and end to end encrypted if it has to be able to work with WhatsApp?
You are not in a minority. I paid for a few extra years to cancel The Times (London). It was impossible to get any response to e-mails and the phone number did not work.

Onelifenofear

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2019
London
It's really simple for Apple.

Allow a store to produce apps for the phone. However you don't get access to ANYTHING on the phone. No contacts, Camera, Photos, Map data, Any security stuff, Microphone, music, Limited single touch even. There is zip all reason they HAVE to allow any access to that.

So web apps.. which you can already do.

Done. Thanks Apple please pay me my Lawerly Fee of 1 Million dollars.

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
You mean using the free, 90-day Let’s Encrypt TLS certificate that allows anyone to spin up a Secure HTTP server? Yeah, super secure. Way to go!
I doubt they meant that. Let’s Encrypt is designed to secure transport layer point to point only. It’s not for vendor authentication, signing or user authentication.

If they did mean that then they don’t know squat about signing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.