Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
That’s an almost impossible approach when we have a tech duopoly where the only two options are iOS and Android.

There are many handset makers, most of whom provde non-lightning chargers and one that provides a lightning charger. If you want iOS even more than you want USB-C, then maybe USB-C shouldn't have been mandated by government?

Or maybe your next proposal is that government outlaw Android?

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
There are many handset makers, most of whom provde non-lightning chargers and one that provides a lightning charger. If you want iOS even more than you want USB-C, then maybe USB-C shouldn't have been mandated by government?

Or maybe your next proposal is that government outlaw Android?

Doesn’t make much difference how many handset makers there are. So long as all but Apple use Android, you’re still just choosing between iOS and Android. I think I will just buy no phone at all until I see more options. I grew up without even cell phones and internet around and was in my 30s when smartphones became a thing, so I won’t die without one.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Doesn’t make much difference how many handset makers there are. So long as all but Apple use Android, you’re still just choosing between iOS and Android. I think I will just buy no phone at all until I see more options. I grew up without even cell phones and internet around and was in my 30s when smartphones became a thing, so I won’t die without one.

Ah, then it sounds like you have your solution.

It’s nice that you at least have a choice between iOS and Android. I wish we’d see at least that much choice in connector ports after 2024…

Reactions: Razorpit

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
So Europe complains about Apple having a monopoly with dating app payments.

And now Europe wants to create a monopoly with USB-C?

How about let the free market decide how things should be. Now everybody will be stuck on USB-C forever.
Well, not EVERYbody. Just those in the EU. There will still be products made without USB-C, just not sold there. Does the EU get a payoff for the more USB-C products the USB-IF licenses? :)

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
That’s an almost impossible approach when we have a tech duopoly where the only two options are iOS and Android.
ALMOST impossible, but not impossible. Actually super easy, barely an inconvenience. Just buy one of the many many many many many non-iOS devices sold in the EU.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
ALMOST impossible, but not impossible. Actually super easy, barely an inconvenience. Just buy one of the many many many many many non-iOS devices sold in the EU.

I meant impossible from the standpoint of making apple budge. My buying a non-Apple device won’t make apple start putting a usb-c port on iphones. The EU requiring them to do so certainly will.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I meant impossible from the standpoint of making apple budge. My buying a non-Apple device won’t make apple start putting a usb-c port on iphones. The EU requiring them to do so certainly will.
I mean, they’ll include a USB-C to Lightning converter, so for those that want free converters, great! For those that Use lightning, those packed in extra converters will surely just get recycled responsibly.

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Reducing by one cable? No doubt the iPhone 15 will be great but for me the connector will not be the reason I hold off an upgrade. Ymmv.
It's the only upgrade/change that is on the horizon (if they do actually do it) that I find worthwhile.

I was an avid iPhone yearly upgrader until I got to the X, stayed on that until the 13 as none of the changes persuaded me to change and then I only changed to pass the X onto one of my kids. Better cameras.. 😕 better battery life.. 😕 etc none of it excited me. Even now when I pick up my son's X I think "oooh that's nice and slim".

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It's the only upgrade/change that is on the horizon (if they do actually do it) that I find worthwhile.

I was an avid iPhone yearly upgrader until I got to the X, stayed on that until the 13 as none of the changes persuaded me to change and then I only changed to pass the X onto one of my kids. Better cameras.. 😕 better battery life.. 😕 etc none of it excited me. Even now when I pick up my son's X I think "oooh that's nice and slim".
I went from a 6s to an xs max. The max did everything the 6s did. Except for the oled screen, camera, dynamic contrast, stereo speakers and mic, wireless charging, esim, Apple pay, force touch etc. For the features I listed, I could have stayed with the 6s as the 6s was fine for checking facebook, looking at email etc. Everyone takes their own hard look at features/function and price.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
iOS and Android platform duopoly. All manufacturers other than Apple still use the android OS, so it makes hardly difference if there is a thousand hardware manufacturers. What we need is more OS choices, not just a thousand hardware choices all using the same OS.
Phone manufacturers of which there are literally hundreds do not make phone ports a duopoly. I guess it's in the interpretation. The operating system is independent of the charging port.

Last edited:

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Phone manufacturers of which there are hundreds. I guess it's how the universe is viewed. The fact that the hundreds of manufacturers elect a certain path does not make this a duopoly.

There aren't "hundreds" of OS platforms though - really just two of any consequence

This isn't hard to understand

Reactions: lartola

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
iOS and Android platform duopoly. All manufacturers other than Apple still use the android OS, so it makes hardly difference if there is a thousand hardware manufacturers. What we need is more OS choices, not just a thousand hardware choices all using the same OS.
Well, that’s what the market wants, isn’t it? If it wasn’t, it wouldn’t exist, would it?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
There aren't "hundreds" of OS platforms though - really just two of any consequence

This isn't hard to understand
Well actually it's more complicated than that. There is no legal requirement to use usb-c or android. In fact Samsung and Oppo are supposedly developing their operating systems and there is linux for the mobile phone.

I am against this level of microregulation. But I am also against death and taxes and good luck with either of those.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003

Yes, that's apparently what government is for-- to make companies do things their customers don't want them to do...

hcherry

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2012
Why should you be able to make apple do anything?

That’s the whole problem with these proposals — some people want something, but a person/group/business isn’t inclined to provide it, either in the way or the timing that they’d like.

How do they respond?

By forcing (or trying to force) the other party to do what they want.

That’s wrong when someone does that to you and it’s wrong if you do that to others.

Reactions: Analog Kid

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Why should you be able to make apple do anything?

Because they are a company - not a god

They operate in legal jurisdictions with regulations and rules decided upon by the populations themselves.

i.e. They do what they are required to do based upon what the people and their political representation want.

That's the trade off for handsomly profiting off a country and its people.

Reactions: M3gatron

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Because they are a company - not a god

They operate in legal jurisdictions with regulations and rules decided upon by the populations themselves.

i.e. They do what they are required to do based upon what the people and their political representation want.

That's the trade off for handsomly profiting off a country and its people.
That’s a non-answer. Apple has to operate legally. It doesn’t mean governments make great decisions at this level.

And of course apple can pull out. Curtail distribution of new models etc. as EU regulation becomes overbearing, who knows how this play out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.