Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Lightening is superior to USB C at USB2 speeds. A very robust connection and hardly any issues with it blowing up like with USB C. When my phone is charging in my car and falls between the seats I just pull it up and out with lightening. That won’t happen with USB C. Plus the connection likes to fall out at the slightest juggle - I hate USB C - you will too with time.

On the high end Samsungs a buggered USB C port means replacement of the entire phone!

But I’m sure the Ultra may get USB C at improved speed. If the regular phones stay with lightening or USB C the speed does not matter. Only YouTube creators bitch about speed.
It’s called Lightning. Not Lightening. And I’ve had a few of those ports break on iPhones over the years.

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
Oh and Apple is free to sell iPhones with Lightning in the US for as long as they want if you really like USB 2.0 that much.
I wish they did that. Because in that case I would buy my next iPhone from the US just to spite those fat, useless beaurocrats whose only purpose in life is to control all the little details of our lives. 👿
However, I don't think that will be the case. They will most probably switch to USB-C everywhere.

I don't particularly love Lightning or USB-C. I'm fine with either of them. I don't mind if Apple makes the switch. What I do mind, though, is a bunch of politicians telling me what I may or may not use. 🤬

Last edited:

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
Since the directive only defines minimum power requirements, manufacturers will be free to customize the connection as they see fit; with teh potential for one connector but many incompatible cables.
so.. Basically how it is now just with a minimum power requirement.. hardly a change at all. Still doesn't change the fact that these cables are not labeled appropriately with the capability. In a earlier post I made there is a picture with an example of the logo used to identify what type of USB-C cable that is. So what I said earlier (the one you quoted me on) the USB-C cable problem is just as bad if not worse than what HDMI is. I can bet that you cannot identify the types of HDMI you have connected to your devices and I can safely assume majority of consumers are not getting their full monies worth due to this, and this also is the issue with USB-C. Big whoop there is a standard for what charge port my device can use, I paid to be able to "x" charge speed and "x" data speed and now I have to keep tabs on what cable(s) will do that for me.

Reactions: compwiz1202

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
You can't keep the populace safe if you can't spy on their every move, thought and deed.
...because only the EU is doing this and not our newly independent UK government or that beacon of individual freedom, the USA.

Oh, wait:

... and so on.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Big whoop there is a standard for what charge port my device can use, I paid to be able to "x" charge speed and "x" data speed and now I have to keep tabs on what cable(s) will do that for me.

Exactly. Those who think this ushers in a golden age of one cable to rule them all are sadly mistaken. Nothing stops any manufacturer from creating a proprietary cable beyond basic charging as well as for data transfer; the USB spec specifically allows that.

Reactions: cthompson94

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
MagSafe is still a port, with wires and a (flat) socket. It is also huge, power-inefficient, and does nothing that USB-C can't do. Including it should not alleviate the requirement for USB-C.
That's MagSafe on MacBook Pros. It has a very specific purpose of protecting a laptop from being yanked off the table when someone trips over the charge cable and doesn't make sense on anything other than a laptop. Anyway, laptops (a) have plenty of room for multiple connectors and (b) don't have the I/O & display support capacity to support more than 2-3 "full function" TB4 ports, so a few dedicated ports for the most common tasks like Magsafe charging or HDMI for data presentation leave the TB4 ports free for high-speed data.

MagSafe on iPhones is a completely different wireless, inductive system. Personally, I could live with plugging in a cable, but long term you could imagine a totally sealed, waterproof wireless-only iPhone. Why Apple chose to use the same name, I don't know - marketing moves in mysterious ways.

What happens when USB-D is announced?

If it's not backwards compatible - at least for charging - with USB-C sockets then the USB Implementors Forum would need to be dressed in clown costumes and pelted with rancid herrings. They've gone to a lot of effort to ensure that USB-C is a "smart" connector that can be used for any new protocols that come along.

MicroUSB was also international, and the EU almost made it the standard AFTER USB Type C existed. You might be missing the point.

USB-C was finalised in 2014 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB-C)

The "memorandum of understanding" between the EU and the industry to use MicroUSB as a standard connector was made in 2009. (https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/IP_09_1049)

The EU directive allowing time travel to be used in policy making will have been going to been passing in 2135.

I was, and it was awful. But calling this regulation reasonable only seems reasonable right now. If you recall, those connectors were soldered into their chargers as well. Seems the "industry" solved that very quickly in 2007...which is why we're now only talking about cables.
I think the EU vs. Apple issue is a storm in a teacup, and is just giving Apple an excuse to do what makes sense anyway. As you say, though, having a standard connector on the power supply rather than a captive cable is what makes the difference.

Certainly the multiple proprietary connectors and captive cables mess "went away" and was already going away when the first EU MOU came out. Maybe the EU helped round up the stragglers - or maybe it was just that connecting phones to sync music etc. with computers was becoming more important and only needing to ship a single cable for charge & data offset the cost of putting a USB socket in the PSU.

The "better" part of the new directive is that they're expanding its range and we might see an end to everything that isn't a mobile phone coming with a captive-cable wall wart and a barrel connector (get the polarity or voltage wrong and let the magic smoke out).

Also, high time to stop bundling minimum-spec chargers with devices - who hasn't got a box of basic USB chargers plus laptops, TVs etc. and even wall sockets and extension leads with USB power? (and, if not, what's so hard about ordering one with your new phone?)

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Can i use USB C cable used to charge my laptop to charge my phone ?
do they have any markings ?
what if cable heats up ?
120W vs 10 watts ?
Don't think they do unless they are very tiny. I only saw Anker on my 100W ones

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
so.. Basically how it is now just with a minimum power requirement.. hardly a change at all. Still doesn't change the fact that these cables are not labeled appropriately with the capability. In a earlier post I made there is a picture with an example of the logo used to identify what type of USB-C cable that is. So what I said earlier (the one you quoted me on) the USB-C cable problem is just as bad if not worse than what HDMI is. I can bet that you cannot identify the types of HDMI you have connected to your devices and I can safely assume majority of consumers are not getting their full monies worth due to this, and this also is the issue with USB-C. Big whoop there is a standard for what charge port my device can use, I paid to be able to "x" charge speed and "x" data speed and now I have to keep tabs on what cable(s) will do that for me.
Agree at least cable wise Lightning is the same except for A or C on the other end and the length. Only difference in speed is determined by the device

Reactions: cthompson94

ksnell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
It's a done deal.

All he says is they will have to comply with the law. The law says that if it is a wired charging device, it must be via USB-C.

Below is a good breakdown on that interview. Skip to 1 min if you don't want to watch the whole thing.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
Will be interesting to see if Apple ships the iPhone 15 with USB-C or if they will wait until last minute to make the transition.
I think it will start with the "Pro" line-up first because that is easily money for them for 1 year being a headlining feature for the pro models.

Reactions: _Spinn_

visualseed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2020
Especially since they haven’t even done anything with it. People always love to say „this will stop innovation“ yeah right, Apple is still using the same connector from literally 10 years ago on the iPhone today
Apple specifically said they would use this connector for about a decade when they switched from the 30-pin iPod connector in response to accessory makers and customers worried about investing in new charges and docks only to have to change again in a couple years.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I doubt it’ll be a chan
Not when it comes from Apple. I bet they'll brag about the new modern, faster, better, revolutionary charging port, which is a huge leap into the future, and so on. They're so good at it, as we all know. 😁
I doubt itll be a change in speed. And it won’t make charger any faster either. It’ll just be a change in shape that’ll piss off countless Apple customers. It’s not something to sing the praises of.

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
how many iPad users are pissed since they "now" have to use USB C cables?

where's the uproar that the Apple TV remote has gone "downhill" with this year's model too?

would you prefer Lighning ports on your MacBook?

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
I doubt itll be a change in speed. And it won’t make charger any faster either. It’ll just be a change in shape that’ll piss off countless Apple customers. It’s not something to sing the praises of.
True. But don't underestimate the marketing department. I'm sure they'll find a way to praise it. 😁

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
I wish they did that. Because in that case I would buy my next iPhone from the US just to spite those fat, useless beaurocrats whose only purpose in life is to control all the little details of our lives. 👿
However, I don't think that will be the case. They will most probably switch to USB-C everywhere.

I don't particularly love Lightning or USB-C. I'm fine with either of them. I don't mind if Apple makes the switch. What I do mind, though, is a bunch of politicians telling me what I may or may not use. 🤬
Having read your posts in this thread, for your own sanity you should move out of and not stay in any EU country… you clearly loath it and I daresay it seems rather prevalent over the actual USB-C product or technicals.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
It’s called Lightning. Not Lightening. And I’ve had a few of those ports break on iPhones over the years.
Well shucks, I made a spelling mistake on some internet forum - not that it matters to the argument.

However I have never seen a Lightning port fail unless something catastrophic happened - and never seen that either. So: Exactly how did they break and why were you so unlucky to have it happen multiple times while very few ever have it happen at all? More importantly, could you repair it? Did Apple repair or replace it because it was defective and what did they say as the reason?

The robust nature of the Lightning port was always praised, so that information asked above is actually of interest to me.

Thanks in advance!

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Well shucks, I made a spelling mistake on some internet forum - not that it matters to the argument.

However I have never seen a Lightning port fail unless something catastrophic happened - and never seen that either. So: Exactly how did they break and why were you so unlucky to have it happen multiple times while very few ever have it happen at all? More importantly, could you repair it? Did Apple repair or replace it because it was defective and what did they say as the reason?

The robust nature of the Lightning port was always praised, so that information asked above is actually of interest to me.

Thanks in advance!
Devices were out of Apple’s warranty by the time it happened on each account and not worth investing into the out of warranty flat rate service fee. I don’t mind how much praise some have for Lightning, I tend to use my phones with Apple accessories only and the port refused to hold the original charging cables in place because the built-in spring/grabber mechanism stopped working. Which is not unheard of.

In return the usb-c ports I have on plenty devices seem to generally be a bit more wiggly with cables not sitting as secure but at least in my experience none has stopped working in the same way.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Come to think about it…

Will Apple still display the iPhone stuck on their new USC C ports in the store? Will those ports hold up to customers manhandling them on and off like the Lightning port - this I gotta see…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.