Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

questionmark

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2012
Hello all, I am a non EU-passport holding student studying in France. I'm thinking of buying the iPhone 10 and claiming the VAT refund when I travel out of France.

I will be traveling outside of the EU late January from one of the retail stores in Paris (not online because I can't claim a tax refund on online purchases.) Technically speaking, I am considered as as EU resident as I have been staying in France more than 6 months and will be staying for at least another year (my VISA expires end of Jan, but I have the French residency card already, which allows to stay in France and travel outside of Schengen even my visa expires.)

I'm buying the phone here in France because I will be living in France for at least another two years. It's just easier with the warranty.

With the iPhone 10 here selling for 1100€+, and the VAT in France at 200€+, I am wondering... if I keep my iPhone unopened when I leave the EU for my trip, can I claim an VAT refund? Will they check my VISA/passport? How does it really work?

Anyone has any experience on claiming VAT refund while on a long-stay student visa (even outside-EU experience is appreciated!)? Did it work?

Thank you very much!

Last edited:

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Hello all, I am a student studying in France (I am not a EU-passport holder) and I'm thinking of buying the iPhone 10.

I will be traveling outside of the EU late January from one of the retail stores in Paris (not online because I can't claim a tax refund on online purchases.) Technically speaking, I am considered as as EU resident as I have been staying in France more than 6 months and will be staying for at least another year (my VISA expires end of Jan, but I have the French residency card already, which allows to stay in France and travel outside of Schengen even my visa expires.)

I'm buying the phone here in France because I will be living in France for at least another two years. It's just easier with the warranty.

With the iPhone 10 here selling for 1100€+, and the VAT in France at 200€+, I am wondering... if I keep my iPhone unopened when I leave the EU for my trip, can I claim an VAT refund? Will they check my VISA/passport? How does it really work?

Anyone has any experience on claiming VAT refund while on a long-stay student visa (even outside-EU experience is appreciated!)? Did it work?

Thank you very much!

You need to check the VAT refund process for France ...... it differs from country to country even within the EU. In the UK you need to get special receipts from Apple when you buy anything in order to process the refund at the airport. You have to prove you are a non EU resident. I have a UK passport but resident in UAE and still get VAT back .... you don’t need to leave things unopened you just need to prove it’s being taken out of the country. If you have a non EU passport and taking it out to non EU country you should be fine. Just don’t get caught bringing it back again :) . From UK you get about 13% back from 20% VAT the rest is taken in process fees.

questionmark

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2012
You need to check the VAT refund process for France ...... it differs from country to country even within the EU. In the UK you need to get special receipts from Apple when you buy anything in order to process the refund at the airport. You have to prove you are a non EU resident. I have a UK passport but resident in UAE and still get VAT back .... you don’t need to leave things unopened you just need to prove it’s being taken out of the country. If you have a non EU passport and taking it out to non EU country you should be fine. Just don’t get caught bringing it back again :) . From UK you get about 13% back from 20% VAT the rest is taken in process fees.

Thanks for the reply! So you don't need to leave it unopened? I've read about it online and a lot of people say that I need to leave it untouched. I don't know how to resist not playing with it the moment I get it! :p

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Thanks for the reply! So you don't need to leave it unopened? I've read about it online and a lot of people say that I need to leave it untouched. I don't know how to resist not playing with it the moment I get it! :p

I can only speak for the UK and you definitely don’t need to leave it unopened. They need to see it to prove it leaves the country. I took an iPad Pro out a few weeks ago and I had already been using it and there was no issue, my wife took jewellery that she was wearing.

Good luck !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.