Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cro_Magnon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2020
Hi Everyone,
First time poster here. I'm looking to add automation using HomeKit compatible devices. I have chosen Eufy and Phillips as the combination for outdoor security cameras and lights respectively. I cannot seem to find the answer to my question of whether I can add Eufy eufyCam 2C's motion trigger to turn on Phillips Hue bulb through the HomeKit app. I keep finding mixed messages online.

Any input is appreciated. I'm also open to recommendations for other devices that may suit this task better. These will be my first automation devices.

thanks for your time.

Allan Heijmans

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2020

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I mean with not connecting to the hue lights as a sensor in the HomeKit app.
From the Home app, click on automations at the bottom (you’ll need a HomePod, Apple TV or iPad as a home hub for automations to work). Then add an automation. Use “when a sensor detects something”. It will bring you to a list of your sensors (your camera should be one of them). Click on the camera you want and it will show “detects motion” or “stops detecting motion” and give you other options for time and people present. After that, it will take you to the list of accessories the sensor can control, like the lights. Long press on the light and select what you want it to do when the camera detects or stops detecting motion (depending on what you previously selected).

Again, just to be clear, you need a HomePod, Apple TV or iPad (on same WiFi) for automations to work.

Reactions: Allan Heijmans

Allan Heijmans

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2020
From the Home app, click on automations at the bottom (you’ll need a HomePod, Apple TV or iPad as a home hub for automations to work). Then add an automation. Use “when a sensor detects something”. It will bring you to a list of your sensors (your camera should be one of them). Click on the camera you want and it will show “detects motion” or “stops detecting motion” and give you other options for time and people present. After that, it will take you to the list of accessories the sensor can control, like the lights. Long press on the light and select what you want it to do when the camera detects or stops detecting motion (depending on what you previously selected).

Again, just to be clear, you need a HomePod, Apple TV or iPad (on same WiFi) for automations to work.

Thank you for the detailed answer, guess I have to buy a extra gadget to make it work ?. Any advice, which one??

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Thank you for the detailed answer, guess I have to buy a extra gadget to make it work ?. Any advice, which one??
It all depends on your needs and budget. I have all three and they each serve a different purpose. Brand new, the AppleTV is definitely the least expensive of the bunch. There are a few iterations of it but not sure at which point it became a home hub so if you buy used, make sure it is compatible. If you love music and subscribed to Apple Music and use Siri a lot, the HomePod is an excellent choice, more so with the deals going around on them now. There are rumors of a new AppleTV and a mini HomePod on the horizon but nothing etched in stone yet so take that information as you will. iPad is self explanatory but remember, it would have to stay home and remain connected to the WiFi network.

Research the three and see which would better suit your needs and fit your budget. Plenty of info out there. Let us know how it goes. ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.